About NTFS partitions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

About NTFS partitions

Postby compuwize on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi there !

I would like to know how can I read/write on a NTFS partition ? I can see my NTFS hard drive but when I double click on it, it says unable to mount the volume ?

Thx in advance...BTW this is from far the best OS I have ever used !

Good job guys,

You'll soon receive a donation from me, I am very satisfied with Linux mint :)
compuwize
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: About NTFS partitions

Postby FedoraRefugee on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Hello,

This is an easy one. You should be able to read/write with no additional problems once you get the partition mounted. Fred covers this nicely here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... it#p121175

among many other posts where he gives the same directions. Note that you can make the directory anywhere you like, Fred just seems to prefer it in his /home. I put mine under root(/) but you need to sudo to do that. In any case, once mounted you can create a shortcut to that file either on the desktop or in the left pane of your file browser.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: About NTFS partitions

Postby compuwize on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi there,

Thanks alot for your answer, I really appreciate ! I have solved my problem. It was because that last time I have booted into Windows, I didn't close it properly...anyway I did a proper shutdown and now I can mount my NTFS partition flawlessly. I then decided to get rid of Windows Vista...Linux Mint manages memory like 10 times better :)

Take care
compuwize
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions