Linux Mint updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gal7

Linux Mint updates

Post by gal7 »

I am a newbie in Linux and have just installed Linux Mint 6 in a separate partition, leaving Windows XP in its own partition.
My first question:
- Mint update shows about 230 available and recommended updates, 9 of them safety level 1-2 and all the remaining level 3.
I have installed the updates level 1-2.
Is it recommended and safe to install all the 221 other updates (level 3)? (some of them refer to programs that are not installed such as Evolution..)
How to choose those to install and keep a well up-to-date system?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Linux Mint updates

Post by Fred »

gal7,

I would suggest you stick with the level 1 & 2 updates for a while until you become more familiar with you new system. Level 3 updates have a higher likelihood of breaking something.

Fred
gal7

Re: Linux Mint updates

Post by gal7 »

To Fred

Thank you very much for your advice

gal7

Return to “Beginner Questions”