64bit and partition questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

64bit and partition questions

Postby mnimmo1986 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Hello i have used Linux before (ubuntu 8.10) however i am looking into switching to it at home, but there are a few questions i would like to ask before i do switch.

1. I know that you can partition a hard drive as such (from what i have read to be a good setup);
/swap
/
/home
what i would like to know is that if the system were to malfunction or i were to do a fresh install of mint how would that go if i had the partitions set up as above, as home i would want to leave untouched would a fresh install just be installed into the / directory and then split into sub directories or will my home partition still be the only home directory on the drive (i do hope i am making sense here).

2. as i have a new(ish) PC i would like to give 64it a go but will it still run 32bit Linux and m$ apps (through wine) and would it give me any better power as such (typical home user).

any other information that you may think that will be of help to me i would be grateful for it

Thanks in advance,

MIKE
mnimmo1986
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 64bit and partition questions

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm

mnimmo1986,

You will get as many opinions on partitioning as there are people responding. What you have shown will work just fine. I would suggest you do it a bit differently however. I would put the entire install in one partition and make one or more separate data partitions to put your data, virtual machines, and etc. in. These partitions could be mounted in your /home directory for easy access and would completely isolate your data from your install. This makes later upgrading or distro swapping dirt simple while protecting your data from any mishaps in the install.

swap
/
VirtualMachines
Data

For your second question I would refer you to my post in the below referenced thread.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872&p=127631&hilit=Fred+workload#p127631

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: 64bit and partition questions

Postby mnimmo1986 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:20 pm

thanks for that reply Fred im glad i made some sort of sense lol. the way you described it makes a lot more sense. thanks for that .

as for the 64bit i have got 4Gig of ram but i can see your point on if i were running less. but how does 64bit apps compare to 32bit ones are there as many 64bit apps and how well do 32bit ones work if at all. do most 32bit apps on linux have a 64bit counter part?

Thanks
mnimmo1986
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions