Install from SD Card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Install from SD Card

Postby big_dog1968 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Can I install Mint from an SD Card? I am trying to avoid having to burn a CD that I use just once to install every time a new version on Mint comes out that I want to try.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install from SD Card

Postby dlkreations on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 am

Try this solution here, and let us know how it works. Did a search on Google to find this:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unet ... usb-linux/

If you're running Windows, follow the tutorial word for word. If you're running Mint now though, you will need to download the Linux version of UNetbootin HERE

Hope that helps
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby big_dog1968 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:54 pm

The program seems to do it's job, but the USB card reader is not recognized at start up so it won't work. I was looking for something to make my SD Card be bootable.

I tried changing bios settings, but none of the boot settings that start with USB worked. It gave option of USB CD, USB floppy and USB ZIP. There was not a setting that specifically said USB card reader. Is there something I am missing?

Is there a program that I could burn to CD, with will mount my SD Card and launch the installer? Kind of like when you used to have to use a boot floppy to launch the windows CD (for those that remember)?
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dlkreations on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:35 pm

You can try http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD and see if that helps you. Other than that, I am at a loss as to how to help you.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions