Firefox Update problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firefox Update problem

Postby vrk1219 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:42 am

Hi All,
I have Daryna version of Linux on my machine.
I have FF2.0 by default, but I would like to upgrade to 3.0.6 for which I have followed the following procedure.

Backup Existing Firefox 2.0 Settings

Just backup existing Firefox 2.0 settings:
$ mkdir ff.backup/
$ cp -avr .mozilla/ ff.backup/

Installing Firefox 3 on Linux

After downloading the tar ball from Mozilla site, installing Firefox for all users

First closed all running old Firefox 2.x sessions.
And moved old firefox 2 and install Firefox 3 under Linux:
# cd /etc
# mv firefox firefox.old

Directly copied the tar ball to the /etc directory, and the tried to extract as follows:
$ tar -jvxf <tar file>.
Which actually created a folder firefox, but while extracting it didn't give any errors.

I tried to run the application as follows
$ /opt/firefox/firefox &

Initially it has given me what I have been expecting, but once I close it and try to access to firefox from the Daryna menu, I'm being redirected to old version :? :x :!: :evil:

Please let me know what to do to avoid this problem.
Thanks & Regards
RK Veluvali
vrk1219
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox Update problem

Postby kansasnoob on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Ubuntuzilla now works on Mint 4, 5, and 6. I know because I did the testing.

http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Note that it says:

If you are running Firefox 2, and want to upgrade to Firefox 3, it is strongly advised to back up your firefox profile, and start with a fresh one, since ff3 can have trouble swallowing the ff2 profile.

I know that to be true! Even bookmarks are in a different sub-folder!

Otherwise it really is just as simple as downloading Ubuntuzilla to the Desktop or Download folder, just double clicking on the icon and letting it install to synaptic.

Then be certain firefox is closed and go to terminal and run:

Code: Select all
ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p firefox

You'll be asked a few simple questions and otherwise the script takes all the guess work out of installation.

My test results for Mint 4 are in post #79 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467724&page=8
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox Update problem

Postby vrk1219 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:22 pm

kansasnoob wrote:Ubuntuzilla now works on Mint 4, 5, and 6. I know because I did the testing.

http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Note that it says:
If you are running Firefox 2, and want to upgrade to Firefox 3, it is strongly advised to back up your firefox profile, and start with a fresh one, since ff3 can have trouble swallowing the ff2 profile.

I know that to be true! Even bookmarks are in a different sub-folder!
Otherwise it really is just as simple as downloading Ubuntuzilla to the Desktop or Download folder, just double clicking on the icon and letting it install to synaptic.
Then be certain firefox is closed and go to terminal and run:
Code: Select all
ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p firefox

You'll be asked a few simple questions and otherwise the script takes all the guess work out of installation.
My test results for Mint 4 are in post #79 here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467724&page=8

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, it simply works....
It has done a fairly wonderful job.... but I'm not sure of what steps are involved to ask for so many questions... I would say, you have done good testing. :wink:
But I'm looking for this to be an integral part of next releases of Mint and Ubuntu distributions to make our job easy... :D
Thanks & Regards
RK Veluvali
vrk1219
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions