Options for dual-boot screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Options for dual-boot screen

Postby thiosk on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm really starting to like linux. I just upgraded to the stable x64 from the RC and this is my first linux experience.

I have a question about the wonderful dual boot chooser screen that has been implemented. I would like to change an option so that it does not automatically load into an OS after a period of time, I would rather it just sit there and wait for me to choose the option I want-- you know, in case I reboot and then run off to make a sammich or hit the can, for instance, I don't want to re-reboot because its automatically gone into the wrong OS.

Any advice here?

thanks!
thiosk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Options for dual-boot screen

Postby jojo1028 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi,

I don't know if you can get rid of the timeout but you can
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
and try to set the timeout value to something like 3600 (it's an hour, should be enough time :) ).

Edit: maybe just commenting the timeout line with a # will do the trick, i m trying and tell you if it works :)
Re-edit: altair confirmed so it should work :)
Last edited by jojo1028 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jojo1028
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm

You can in fact comment out the line:
from timeout 5
to #timeout 5
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby hyperdrive on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi,

To add my own little bit to this... I believe if you comment out the "timeout" line in your /boot/grub/menu.lst (put a # sign in front of the line), that should disable the timer. ** untested but should work :wink:

EDIT: altair beat me to it with his lighting typing skills! *shakes fist* I'll have my revenge! *wraps cloak and vanishes in a cloud of ominous smoke* :twisted:
hyperdrive
Level 2
Level 2

Postby altair4 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 pm

It's always a good sign in any forum when people fall all over each other to help someone :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby NoClue! on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Nice tip! Thanks guys! This should be the default setting.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions