Gnome-do: Is this a bug?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Gnome-do: Is this a bug?

Post by T J Tulley »

Gnome-do is a new feature since Elyssa arrived - now in Felicia it has just received a couple of updates, so I just decided to investigate its possibilities. After selecting a few options it has completely disappeared!

I opened it, then selected Preferences, and viewed the beginning of the column. I selected a few, and was scrolling down when the whole box disappeared from the screen (including from the Panel, which I keep at the Left of my screen). Gnome-do cannot now be opened using [Super]Space, and is not visible at all. I have tried scrolling through the screens or workspaces until I get back to where I started.

Part of the background to this event is the annoying habit of the whole screen to scroll vertically, presumably between different "Workspaces" - this happens because I have a mouse with a wheel instead of the central button. Very handy for scrolling within a window, but if used on the desktop, the whole screen scrolls. Is there any information about the possibilities of using different workspaces? I guess a large RAM is required - I have only 1 GB.

I shall be most grateful for help/advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gnome-do: Is this a bug?

Post by T J Tulley »

Felicia - Standard version - I don't know anything about x86 or AMD64.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

T J Tulley wrote:Gnome-do is a new feature since Elyssa arrived - now in Felicia it has just received a couple of updates, so I just decided to investigate its possibilities. After selecting a few options it has completely disappeared!

I opened it, then selected Preferences, and viewed the beginning of the column. I selected a few, and was scrolling down when the whole box disappeared from the screen (including from the Panel, which I keep at the Left of my screen). Gnome-do cannot now be opened using [Super]Space, and is not visible at all. I have tried scrolling through the screens or workspaces until I get back to where I started.

Part of the background to this event is the annoying habit of the whole screen to scroll vertically, presumably between different "Workspaces" - this happens because I have a mouse with a wheel instead of the central button. Very handy for scrolling within a window, but if used on the desktop, the whole screen scrolls. Is there any information about the possibilities of using different workspaces? I guess a large RAM is required - I have only 1 GB.

I shall be most grateful for help/advice.
It certainly is a bug as far as I am concerned. You were lucky you even got it to start, I can't. Version 0.6 used to work OK but 0.8 is useless, as I said I can't even get it to start.

EDIT: I just used synaptic to downgrade to gnome-do 0.6 and it works perfectly again. Thank you for letting me know about this.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

With the new 0.8 version, I am fiddling with "docky." This is something I would actually use GNOME Do for. I have never bothered with it otherwise. "Docky" seems to be more stable for me than AWN the last time I tested it. That is as far as I have gotten in playing with it, but I find that new feature useful.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

rivenought wrote:With the new 0.8 version, I am fiddling with "docky." This is something I would actually use GNOME Do for. I have never bothered with it otherwise. "Docky" seems to be more stable for me than AWN the last time I tested it. That is as far as I have gotten in playing with it, but I find that new feature useful.
So I presume from your post that you can get gnome-do 0.8 to start then? Not everybody can and that includes me.

BTW I run the AWN dock on all my systems and they are all perfectly stable (although not all the plugins work I grant you).
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

viking777,

Yeah, the new version of GNOME Do seems to run on my system. The Docky worked, anyway. I was not able to get the super+space to call anything up, so I can confirm that on my system. I did not try it much more than Docky.

As for AWN, the last time I tried it was either Mint 4 or Mint 5 with the 32-bit version. It was probably Mint 5, so no, I have not given it a whirl with Mint 6. I do believe it would be much more stable with Mint 6 - especially with the 64-bit version. I am having a slightly better experience with the 64-bit version than the 32-bit version.

Anyway, I did want to chime in with my little experience in that it does work, but not like the previous version.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a Gnome-Do problem..I love that thing lol so when I tried to upgrade to the new 0.8 version, it did something bad and I tried to go back to the 0.6 version in the repo and now it won't work at all, this is the message I get:

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Could not read add-in description
at Mono.Addins.Addin.get_Description () [0x00000]
at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.CheckHostAssembly (System.Reflection.Assembly asm) [0x00000]
at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.ActivateRoots () [0x00000]
at Mono.Addins.AddinSessionService.Initialize () [0x00000]
at Mono.Addins.AddinManager.Initialize (System.String configDir) [0x00000]
at Do.Core.PluginManager.Initialize () [0x00000]
at Do.Do.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

Can anyone help? I really miss my Gnome-Do :cry:
atonz

Post by atonz »

I am fairly new to linux and this synaptic package manager is still difficult for me to get around. I would really like to use the docky feature of gnome-do but apparently Mint 6 only comes with 0.6. From this thread it seems like those who even know how to upgrade cant get it to work, but for whenever it does start working can someone tell me exactly how to upgrade to 0.8?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I would imagine that the reason it doesn't appear in normal repos (and therefore as an update) is that it is not considered stable enough yet on Mint. If you must have it now you will need to add these two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list (for which you will need to be root or use sudo)

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/do-core/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/do-core/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

Then update synaptic and it should appear, but bear in mind that these are not officially supported sources and therefore the install may not be stable or even usable.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Docky is - in my opinion - vastly inferior to avant-window-navigator at the present moment in time, so you may be disappointed anyway, I know I was when I tried it - I also know that others disagree with that.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

What a variety of replies!

I'm still in the dark - is there any documentation for Gnome-do - or the facilities it apparently offers?

I find it quite non-intuituve.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

There are not a lot of docs for gnome-do. I take it you have looked through this site: http://do.davebsd.com/.

To go back to your original post about the mouse wheel changing desktops. Do you have Compiz desktop effects enabled? If so try switching it off and it might go away.

It is one of these strange things though, some people regard this behaviour as a desirable feature while others don't like it. One thing does puzzle me though, if you have a desktop in front of you then why would you attempt to scroll on it anyway? You are not going to see anything else by doing so (unless your desktop is completely the wrong size - even then I am not sure it would work). Just leave the scroll wheel alone on the desktop?
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Viking777 - scrolling the desktop happens accidentally - my mouse has a wheel which is very useful for scrolling in windows. If the mouse pointer wanders outside the window, the desktop scrolls.

That's a minor nuisance - but I thought there must be a use for the feature, and therefor requested documentation.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks, StickHead: that was a really useful introduction to a number of features I've not met before.

A continuing learning curve in Linux.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
timeecho

Post by timeecho »

Changing desktop/workspace with mouse wheel.........
Re: Switching between desks with mouse wheel ?

Run the Configuration Editor (or via terminal "gconf-editor")

apps -> compiz -> plugins -> vpswitch -> allscreens -> options

Change "next_button" to "Button5" and "prev_button" to "Button4" Assuming you've got the default settings for Ubuntu (and they all work), that should let you switch workspaces with the mouse wheel.

If not, then ditch Metacity and get Openbox.
thanx -cuddles mckitten- ubuntu forums- simply perfect thread
-timeecho-

Return to “Beginner Questions”