What am I doing wrong?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What am I doing wrong?

Postby JDeMainJr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

I try and download the .iso and everytime I download it and burn it the image fails. Never seem to have any luck with this can someone tell me what I might do.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby rivenought on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:07 pm

What burning program are you using? I use Brasero right now in GNOME and K3b when I am in KDE.

Once the ISO is sitting in my folder, I right-click the ISO and then open with Brasero. I set the burn to the lowest possible speed. A few minutes later, the CD is ready for booting.

If you could give some more specifics, we can probably get you all fixed up.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JDeMainJr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Using Roxio Ready to Burn that is all I have at this time since I am doing it from work.
Seems to happen even when I am using others like Nero Burning Rom. I have used K3B and still seem to have this issue really want to have a linux distro that is recent and that works for me as much as I work for it.
I have even tried just downloading it and bringing it home and burning it that seems to never work either. Just really bent on this.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Ah, you are using Windows. That focuses a bit more. Are you burning as a data disc or an ISO? You need to burn as an ISO. I do not use Windows, but I have picked up a tiny bit here and there.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JDeMainJr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Windows is what I am stuck using here at work.
I am burning it as an ISO yes and at low speeds.
I am just not having any luck might have to just buy it but, really not wanting to go that route. Whole reason I like Linux not so much paying involved.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JDeMainJr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I also really like the Mint Distro because it comes with a lot of the features I am looking for.
Unless you can think of something else that would be great. I really like the Debian Gnome releases have used SUSE 11.1 it is nice but, the updates and new package download is intolerable, have used Ubuntu up to 8.04 I like it because I can do what I want with the basic system but, there is to much time to spend with it. ( Don't have a lot time full time Work and Student). Any and all help is greatful.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Does the image fail to boot at all, or does it get to a certain point and stop altogether? With Mint 6 32-bit, I have to use "compatibility mode" to get the Live CD to boot. If you want to try that, press any key while the Live CD is booting, choose "compatibility mode" from the pop-up menu, and that might get you all fixed up. Once I did that, the installation went just fine. As a side note, I do not have any issues at all with Mint 6 64-bit.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JDeMainJr on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Thank you for the options to try I would use the 64 Bit version but, my home laptop is only 32 Bit, I am a bit behind the time I guess for being a computer junkie like myself.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Actually, being a computer junkie means you have lots of 32-bit computers sitting around! I only have one 64-bit machine, and it is the barest entry-level model I could afford two years ago. All the rest of my hardware is 32-bit.

Hopefully, you will have some good luck with booting the Live CD once you get home. Do keep us posted on your progress. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mipcar on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:17 pm

JDeMainJr wrote:I try and download the .iso and everytime I download it and burn it the image fails. Never seem to have any luck with this can someone tell me what I might do.

I'm only a noob but It worked for me. Using Windows.. Just confirming you did burn as an iso image (as opposed to data)? If you open the disk you burnt to do you see folders or just a copy of the iso. If you don't see folders then it was not burnt correctly.

I downloaded and used a program called infrarecorder, there is another called isorecorder both are free downloads and worked fine for me.

Good luck.

Mychael
Always something to learn for those open to learning.
mipcar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JDeMainJr on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 am

I will try the suggestion of the last post and I know I burnt it as an ISO the folders are there just seems not to burn right. I installed it threw windows last night and it is working but I have no back up plan when I will wish to redo my current machine.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tinca on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:17 am

JDeMainJr,

you talk about having no luck with burning cd's, but it has very little to do with luck. First you have to download the .iso file and check it against the md5 sum. In Windows download the free program "imgburn" and use that to burn the .iso, and burn it at the lowest speed that you can.

Once the disc is burnt have a look at it in Windows and you should see some files. If you can only see the .iso then you have not burned it correctly.

Another main cause for bad burns is rubbish quality blank cd's and dvd's. Go here to learn more.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

You will probably find out like I did that the media you are using comes in the third catagory of "landfill". My two makes were "Tesco" and "Kodak". Both now dumped in the rubbish bin.

The very best disc's that you can purchase are made by "Taiyo Yuden", but even with these you will have to be careful as there are a lot of fakes about. I purchased mine online from

http://svp.co.uk/

Best regards Keith
Case Antec 900 | Motherboard Abit ip35 Pro | CPU Q6600 (GO) | PSU Zippy P5L-6720P | Graphic Card XFX 7300 GS | Cooler Corsair T50 water cooled cpu | Ram 2x1GB sticks | Monitor Samsung Syncmaster 323t
tinca
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JDeMainJr on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 am

I just wanted to say thank you to you Keith. The site was really informative and helpful to the what may be causing the problem. I also like how it broke things down. Anyway I found using this forum very helpful from the few that have viewed and responded.
Thank you all.
Hope this may help someone else down the road.
JDeMainJr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkvnmtr on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:20 pm

One other tip I didn't see. Use a cd-r disk. Folks seem to have less problems.
mkvnmtr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions