mac emmulator.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

mac emmulator.

Postby mipcar on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Not sure if this qualifies for the Newbie section but anyway. Being a glutton for punishment and even though I've barely scraped the surface of understanding Linux I am no wondering if there is a program that I can load which will give my system the appearance and behaviour of a Mac as I always want to get some feel for running a Mac type system.

Thanks,
Mychael
Always something to learn for those open to learning.
mipcar
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mac emmulator.

Postby garda on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:45 am

I reckon there are at least two Mac emulators available in the repositories: Basilisk and PearPC. The former emulates 68k Macs environment while the latter does PowerPC. I doubt you will be using Basilisk legally, though, as it requires a ROM image of a 68k machine in order to work. PearPC on the other hand, requires a full installation disc of any PPC-based OS X and still does not handle x86 versions. That said, PearPC is the most advanced Mac emulator available up to date -- at least as far as my knowledge is concerned. More information about it can be found at PearPC Wiki.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mac emmulator.

Postby rbanavara on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:10 am

if you just want to change the look and feel to be like mac (doc / windows / the top bar), then search for mac4lin or bhagira (or bagira not sure on spelling). One of them is for KDE & the other for gnome.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it -Husse
rbanavara
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions