Removing Packages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Removing Packages

Postby PakMor on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 am

Hello all. This is my first post to this forum. Just installed Mint6-64 on my Acer laptop and everything seems to be OK. I've been using ubuntu since gutsy and still cannot understand why it is that when a package is removed and purged from the system that files for the specific package are left in Nautilus. Example: I just removed "bluez-gnome", "gnome-pilot", "scim" and "brltty" as I don't use them and was wanting to free up some resources. OK the package manager tells me that the packages and config files were successfully removed. I open Nautilus and there are directories and files for the removed packages still listed. What is the safest way to remove them?
PakMor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Removing Packages

Postby clem on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Use the commands below to troubleshoot what files are included in a particular package, and to what package belongs a particular file:

Code: Select all
apt content packagename
apt contains /path/to/filename

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions