slow to desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

slow to desktop

Postby DevAdv on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:43 pm

hi, got a question for yall.

first, im not really a newbie, but didn't really know where to post this. i do have some linux knowledge but not a lot.

i recently installed linux mint onto a 8gb microsdhc class6 card through the use of a usb adapter. it runs flawless and fast once its loaded, but it takes a long time to load to the desktop from the login screen.

for instance. it takes about 20-30 seconds to load from boot to login, but almost double that amount once i login to get to the desktop.

i disabled alot of services i dont need and uninstalled powernowd so my processor runs at full speed because speedstep hates me :lol:

any ideas as to what could be causing this? or how to figure out whats causing this?

ty in advance.
DevAdv.
p.s. if this is the wrong section, pls move elsewhere and i apologize.
DevAdv
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: slow to desktop

Postby DevAdv on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm

guess i should reply and tell what i found out.

it ended up being compiz. i disable it and desktop loads just fine.

weird part is, my computer isnt exactly slow. so im at a loss here.

1.8gig mobile intel
2 gigs ddr2 dual channel ram
nvidia 6800 go 256 mb pcix video.

running benchmark on compiz i get around 500fps, so i have no idea why it would lag my desktop load by almost a minute.

any ideas would be appreciated.
DevAdv
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions