How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby jacatone on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I really find Firefox 3 to be horrible. You can't import any of the FEBE files from version 2 and v3 FEBE functions don't work. I've downloaded a tar.gz of Firefox 2.0.0.20. Is there a way to remove version 3 and replace it? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby Udi on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Extract the tar.gz file anywhere you want and make a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin to the firefox binary. That way it will take precedence over anything in /usr/bin and it will be used by default instead of version 3. I think this way is better because if you try to remove version 3 you will enter into a dependency nightmare - so it's better to have the 2 versions live together side by side.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby thomase on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi UDi, i read your reply to make a symbolic link to replace ff3 with ff2. I am still confused about how to create the link. Do I create a file in /usr/local/bin to point to a file in /usr/bin? if so how? do I use terminal and sudo?. 2/ How do I insert the new location in /usr/bin without correct permission.

my location of FF2 is /home/tomh/Download/firefox, sorry to be so dumb but a step by step explanation would be very helpful. I am using Mint 6 and trying to import backups from febe.

Thnx, tomh
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions