How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby jacatone on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:51 pm

I really find Firefox 3 to be horrible. You can't import any of the FEBE files from version 2 and v3 FEBE functions don't work. I've downloaded a tar.gz of Firefox 2.0.0.20. Is there a way to remove version 3 and replace it? Thanks.
jacatone
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby Udi on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Extract the tar.gz file anywhere you want and make a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin to the firefox binary. That way it will take precedence over anything in /usr/bin and it will be used by default instead of version 3. I think this way is better because if you try to remove version 3 you will enter into a dependency nightmare - so it's better to have the 2 versions live together side by side.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I replace Firefox 3 for 2 in LM6?

Postby thomase on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi UDi, i read your reply to make a symbolic link to replace ff3 with ff2. I am still confused about how to create the link. Do I create a file in /usr/local/bin to point to a file in /usr/bin? if so how? do I use terminal and sudo?. 2/ How do I insert the new location in /usr/bin without correct permission.

my location of FF2 is /home/tomh/Download/firefox, sorry to be so dumb but a step by step explanation would be very helpful. I am using Mint 6 and trying to import backups from febe.

Thnx, tomh
thomase
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions