INTERNET CONNECTION IN LINUX MINT

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

INTERNET CONNECTION IN LINUX MINT

Postby mbrocknroll on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Here is my problem:
My main OS is Vista Home Premium which I use for my work.
I run various Linux distros from DVDs that I had downloaded as ISO images.
Windows is just bad - memory management is just terrible but it has some good programs and games.
Back to Linux - I have problem in some Linux distros with internet connection i.e. no internet connection at all although it shows it is connected to the internet and gives me IP address and all relevant information in status bar.
OpenSUSE and Fedora - no problems at all and rock solid - like them but problem is they come without flash so it takes abt 10 minutes to download them and as I run them from DVDs I have to do it every time so it is time consuming.
Linux Mint, Mandriva, Kubuntu, BackTrack, SimplyMEPIS, Pupy Linux and DreamLinux show me that I have internet connection, internet icon gives me all relevant information but when I open Konqueror or Firefox it gives me no internet connection page.
I noticed when my IP address is 72.xxx or 74.xxx it does not work but I do not have any problems with internet connection when my IP address is 62.xxx or 64.xxx - in that case both Konqueror and Firefox work properly.
My internet connection is provided by Bellsouth.net(AT&T) it is dynamic so it changes.It is wired DSL.
What is the problem?
Has IP number anything to do with it?
By the way I contacted Bellsouth.net(AT&T) and they do not support Linux so they do not want to keep me assigned to 62.xxx and 64.xxx only so got no help from them.
Linux Mint is real nice. Like that Flash Player and Java come preloaded. Found that sometimes flash freezes when I play chess on Yahoo chess. Do not know why I have computer with 2Gb RAM - that should be more than enough.
Thx for anyone who replies.
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: INTERNET CONNECTION IN LINUX MINT

Postby mbrocknroll on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:11 pm

It is Linux Mint 6 32-bit
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkvnmtr on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Look into port fowarding like they do for torrents and some games. The first step is setting a static address. I believe you can do that yourself.
mkvnmtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Try an experiment:

Open Terminal
Type ping www.cnet.com

You'll have to press Ctrl and c to stop the process BTW. If you get no output try this:

Type ping 216.239.122.178

That's the actual IP Address for cnet.com. Do you get any output now? It may be an IPV6 problem or the DNS Name Servers that's the problem.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby mbrocknroll on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:10 pm

No-can't ping anything.There is actually no internet connection although icon show it does. I tried it already.
Are all those distributions Debian based ? Just downloading new Debian released 2 days ago to see if problem is fixed.
Also tried /sbin/ifconfig eth0 IP and ifup eth0 - does not work either.
Does anyone know why OpenSuse and Fedore just connect immediately and Debian based won't?
Actually Fedora 10 stable has the same problem but this new Fedora 11 alpha makes wonder - no problem with internet at all.
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Have you tried the following:

sudo pppoeconf

I'm throwing out anything I can remember in case you haven't noticed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby altair4 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 am

Since you haven't posted back I'm guessing you are still having problems. I do have one long term suggestion for you that isn't going to help with your immediate problem but might be something for you to consider. Buy a router. There are 2 district advantages to having a router:

(1) Although my router installed without incident you may have to spend some time to get yours configured properly but once it's done you'll never have to do it again. Every OS I've installed found the network without configuration of any kind. There is no dialer to set up in the OS because the router dials your ISP with the userid and password automatically.

(2) Security. The router acts as a hardware firewall.
The following explains how a router acts as a firewall:

http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm
A NAT Router's Inherent Security
Although NAT routers are not generally purchased for their security benefits, all NAT routers inherently function as very effective hardware firewalls (with a few caveats examined below). As a hardware firewall they prevent "unsolicited", unexpected, unwanted, and potentially annoying or dangerous traffic from the public Internet from passing through the router and entering the user's private LAN network.

The reason they do this is very simple: With multiple "internal" computers on the LAN behind the router, the router must know which internal computer should receive each incoming packet of data. Since ALL incoming packets of data have the same IP address (the single IP address of the router), the only way the router knows which computer should receive the incoming packet is if one of the internal computers on the private LAN FIRST sent data packets out to the source of the returning packets.

I bought my router ( DLink DI-604 ) when I only had one PC for about $12. Never had a problem configuring or connecting to my DSL ISP on any OS install since then. It was well worth the $12.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby mbrocknroll on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:53 pm

thx buddy
You assumed right nothing works but that is great idea. I hope that is wired router.I simply do not like wireless things - had bad experience with Logitech wireless mouse. Wireless when works is great but from time to time things go wrong for this or that reason and wired thing is you set it up once and forget - you never had any problems any more and I passed that stage when I was experimenting with things - now I just want things to work. Exemptions are only OSs like to check them all and to choose those I like most but it is always nice to see what the others are doing and how are they doing it.
I posted this question in several forums and yet to get correct answer but this is probably the best way around the problem until some new release gets it right for me.
Like Mint really I think it is perfect OS for windows crowd. You get everything you need - nothing else to download - Flash, Java and Firefox are there so for basic tasks is just great. I guess VLC should be there too (did not check really) and Songbird and that is it. My favorite feature of Mint is that loads real quick for Linux. It loads much faster that windows and openSuse takes real long. It is shame Mint and Dreamlinux don't get much attention as windows alternative. Ubuntu is everywhere and I just can't see why is that.
Once again thanks a lot - I'll try this router thing.
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbrocknroll on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 am

Managed tonight to get internet connection in Dreamlinux. In network center typed manually IP address and changed gateway - IP address was 74.xxx and gateway was 64.xxx so just changed gateway to 74.xxx and got internet. Funny thing is Icewiesel browser worked but icon showed there was no internet connection and when i tried to download opera it gave me message - Unable to download opera because there is no internet connection. I was browsing internet all night though without any problems. New version of Dreamlinux 3.5 is coming out on February 28 so I'll check if that will change anything.
Tried to do same in Mint but Mint's network center is overcomplicated. Just asks too many things and some of them I even do not know what the are like prefixes. Dreamlinux has realy easy interface.
Anyway will try that thing with router this weekend.
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Mine is a wired router and I don't think its sold anymore but others are being sold.

To give you an idea of how to get a router to connect to the modem I attached a screenshot of how DLink does it This isn't mine but all DLinks look like this. You type in your username and password, accept all the defaults and click "Apply". That's it.

It would be a shame if you find Mint or any other distro as perfect except for the DSL problem. This way it's no longer a stumbling block.
Attachments
DI-624_1235068215230.png
DI-624_1235068215230.png (215.37 KiB) Viewed 482 times
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby mbrocknroll on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:33 am

hey buddy
just to keep you updated
bought this router
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 7112313393
but there is no chance to get it to work - contacted both manufacturer and best buy - tried everything but won't work
by the way yr router is still available - link is here
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_ ... up&sprefix
BUT I FOUND SOLUTION
lady from tech support from bellsouth.net gave me solution to bridge my dsl so dsl operates now on my realtech's static IP of 192.168.1.1 and everything just works great directly with dsl
will return this router
any way thanks a lot - have a great weekend
really appreciate yr help
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions