Question about removing packages

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Question about removing packages

Post by locutus »

Lets say I want to remove Thunderbird (I use gmail online). If I tell Synaptic to remove it, it also wants to remove "mint-mets-gnome" and "mint-meta-main", both of which sound too important to delete. So what to do? The options I see are:

-don't remove Thunderbird, or
-remove all said packages and then re-install the important-sounding ones, or
-remove everything and hope the computer boots ok next time.

I assume the 3rd option is foolish. This problem (removing the two meta packages) happens very frequently when I try to remove some package that does not seem to be essential to Mint. Why? What does Thunderbird have to do with the smooth running of Mint?

Some direction and explanation would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Question about removing packages

Post by locutus »

Nuxer wrote:Remove Thunderbird without worry. It will not affect your system stability. Just right click Thunderbird on mintmenu and choose Uninstall.
Right, but it wants to take the two Mint meta packages with it. Why? And, how important are they and should I reinstall them right away or are they just baggage?
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

This is a dependency problem. Thunderbird is the default mail reader so it is in the meta packages of the mint desktop. Remove it remove also the meta packages and install the meta packages should install it! So you should keep it even if you don't use it.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Guestman wrote:This is a dependency problem. Thunderbird is the default mail reader so it is in the meta packages of the mint desktop. Remove it remove also the meta packages and install the meta packages should install it! So you should keep it even if you don't use it.
That's exactly the answer I expected but didn't want to hear :(
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's possible that removing the mint-meta-main and mint-meta-gnome packages won't result in anything negative, as mentioned here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21474
EDIT: I didn't notice anything when I uninstalled these two meta packages running Mint 6 in Virtualbox.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

proxima_centauri wrote:It's possible that removing the mint-meta-main and mint-meta-gnome packages won't result in anything negative, as mentioned here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21474
EDIT: I didn't notice anything when I uninstalled these two meta packages running Mint 6 in Virtualbox.
Hmm why try to remove these meta packages just for Thunderbird? Why risk it? These meta packages are probably for the Mint Gnome desktop and main configuration, ""mint-meta-gnome" and "mint-meta-main"", so if you remove them you risk perhaps to loose some Mint aspects... this is an assumption but it seems plausible, right? :roll:

Thunderbird is not a so big package on the hard disk, you can keep it without problem, right? :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

linuxviolin wrote: Thunderbird is not a so big package on the hard disk, you can keep it without problem, right? :roll:
Right. But Thunderbird was just an example. There were several others that produced the same result when trying to delete any of them, too.

On my laptop I have both 32-bit and 64-bit editions installed. I removed all the packages from the 32-bit but left them installed on the 64-bit. Now I'll just wait and see if there are any longer-term consequences. Short-term, 32-bit is working fine so far.

Return to “Beginner Questions”