Can't access linuxmint.com on Mint computer only!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
.Ix

Can't access linuxmint.com on Mint computer only!

Post by .Ix »

This is so ironic. I've installed Mint 6.0 on one of my computers, and it can't access linuxmint.com at all. It's the only computer in the network that can't access the site! It can't use MintUpdate and MintInstall either. Really strange. Same thing happened when I used Mint Fluxbox. I have no idea what the problem is. Please help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: Can't access linuxmint.com on Mint computer only!

Post by distoaddict »

Are other websites ok? or is it just linuxmint.com.you could possble connect to the internet direct bypassing you router and see if that makes any difference.try mintinstall and mintupdate too.

Post by Guest »

All other sites work fine. I don't see how it could be a router problem considering I'm on linuxmint.com right now with another computer (using Ubuntu Intrepid). That computer with Mint is also dual booting Windows and that can access linuxmint.com too.
.Ix

Post by .Ix »

^ that was me. Forgot to log in.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

ok.i agree that it is unlikely to be a router problem although i don't have one myself.so i could be wrong.i wonder if this behaviour is limited to firefox or to other browsers also.It may be an idea to install opera and dillo from Synaptic to see if the result is the same.
.Ix

Post by .Ix »

Doesn't work on Opera either. MintInstall and MintUpdate don't work too, so it's definitely not limited to web browsing.
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

From a terminal write
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/frontend.py
for mintInstall
then gksu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py show 0 &
for mintupdate
and post the results that should tell any error messages
.Ix

Post by .Ix »

the first command gives me this:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/frontend.py:277: GtkWarning: gtk_scrolled_window_add(): cannot add non scrollable widget use gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport() instead
  wTree = gtk.glade.XML(gladefile, "main_window")
invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'grep: /home/ix/.linuxmint/mintInstall/tmp/xml/LM6.xml: No such file or directory'
and the second one:

Code: Select all

gksu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py show 0 $
PING google.com (74.125.45.100) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- google.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 607.708/607.708/607.708/0.000 ms
Failed to download new safety rules: [Errno socket error] (-2, 'Name or service not known') None

EDIT:

I can access linuxmint.com using the LiveCD, but Firefox crashes before fully loading anything anyway, so I can't use it. Yes, even googling "asdf" leads to a crash. I know the LiveCD can connect to linuxmint.com because it says "Transferring data from linuxmint.com..." before crashing, unlike the "Looking up linuxmint.com..." that appears in my installation's Firefox.
.Ix

Post by .Ix »

!?

I reinstalled linux mint 6 and formatted the system and home partitions. Everything i tried worked for a few hours (linuxmint.com and mintinstall) and then just broke again after i disconnected from and re-connected to internet.

edit:

Ok so i realized that i manually assigned the network settings after a few hours. I changed it back to automatic and it works again now, but i'd love to have my normal network settings work with this OS. It seems that the Network Manager somehow always changes my subnet mask to "24" instead of the value that i set. Must be some sort of bug?

Return to “Beginner Questions”