Installation option : Guided – Resize

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installation option : Guided – Resize

Postby scooter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 am

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I'd just like to say Hi as this is my first post in this Forum. I'm feeling pretty good about the Linuxmint distro because though the following appears smaller than Ubuntu, the technology is much the same. I gave up with the Ubuntu forum; my message was already on page 4 after only 30 minutes and as it was WUBI related, no-one could be bothered to answer. I even got my usual psudo here, something I had no chance with in the Ubuntu forum.

My newbie question is this. I'm reading through the "Introduction to Linux Mint" PDF and it suggests an option "Guided – Resize" after the “Guided – use the largest continuous free space” but I see only "Manual" as the selection?
Does "Guided – Resize" become an option after I select the “Guided – use the largest continuous free space” option?

I look forward to your help.

Cheers, Scooter.
scooter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation option : Guided – Resize

Postby viking777 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't know the answer to your question but if you want my advice use Manual partitioning anyway (unless you have a completely blank disk). It is the only way to be absolutely sure of what is happening - just based on my experiences and natural caution I guess, but I have read quite a lot of posts saying 'help, I have just erased this or that partition because I let the partitioner choose how to do it'.

This is not a criticism of Mint either it applies to all distros.

Good luck anyway.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby distoaddict on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 pm

I agree with Viking777 but i would use gparted to repartition the hard drive first.then select manual install.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Kaye on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Same thing happened to me.. I got a lot of help that will probably help you :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21792
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby scooter on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks for your time and help. I decided to follow the "Manual" road. I tried to edit my biggest ntfs partition and received an error message of sorts. I tried to make a 10G partition for my main installation and a 3G for my swap. When editing my largest partition, I received the error message and that unnerved me a bit. I closed shop, rebooted to a 3rd party program that I have and made the partitions with that, formated in the respective /ext3 and /swap formats. Then I booted into LM LiveCD and again used the Manual install. This time I selected the partitions I made, installed and voila, I'm typing this via firefox on a full Linuxmint installation.

As I become familiar with Linux programs, I'll use them in replacement of my windows counterparts but learning on a program as deadly as GPart was not an safe option for me.

Cheers, Scooter
scooter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Glad you got everything working :)
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5