Migrating from ubuntu to mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Migrating from ubuntu to mint

Post by kelean »

I want to migrate my wife's Ubuntu computer to Mint. I will save her personal stuff and bookmarks. Can I move her cookies to the new install?

I am not sure where to look. I tried some searches but did not find any help. Thanks Kelean.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Migrating from ubuntu to mint

Post by garda »

Try to move everything inside the .mozilla directory under her home directory (/home/yourwife/.mozilla/). You would have to press CTRL+H in Nautilus to make it visible. Please keep in mind that I have never actually tried this, so it may or may not work.
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

Yes it was Firefox sorry I forgot to mention that. I tried the experiment of moving the .mozilla folder.

What I did was to make a new user on my Mint computer. Then logged in as the new user, copied the .mozilla folder to new user home directory, and then started firefox. When firefox started I was surprized to see her weather addon up and running. I then went to bookmarks and they were there. I tried a bookmark and the site started without asking for the password. So it looks like it worked I will have her check it out for the final word if its a success.

Thanks for the help. I will post back on her reaction.

Kelean.
mkvnmtr

Post by mkvnmtr »

I do this every time I install. Just save the .mozilla file and the .mozilla-thunderbird file and put them in the new home. If you havent opened Firefox or thunderbird you won't even have to replace a current file. They are formed the first time the app is opened. Those two are the only thing I need to transfer to feel right at home in a new distro or install.

Return to “Beginner Questions”