Language packs and networking?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Language packs and networking?

Postby andrew80 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 am

I have 2 stupid questions. I'm working in school and they want me to build Linux class and I'm going to do it. What ever it takes. I'm seriously thinking Linux Mint
for distribution to desktop machines.

1. Is it possible to make a Linux Mint server (If it is, then where would be the right manual for it? I already made one Linux web-server for OpenSuse but all the pages I googled gave me wrong answers. That was the situation that I had to take piece from there and piece from there.)

2. Can I but 2 Linux Mint computer in network? (If it's possible then please tell me where to find manual?)

3. Is there language pack that includes Finnish(Suomi)? Or do I have to use english instead?

Thank you all for your answers before! 8)

- Peace & Linux -
andrew80
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Language packs and networking?

Postby Fornhamfred on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi

Simple answer is yes to all your questions.

The truth is that there is not a server edition of Mint at present but there is a Ubuntu Server edition or alternatively you could try PCLinuxos Business Edition which has a server edition and also a schools server under the name Karoshi.

With regard to language packs if you look in Synaptic there is a finnish language pack.

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby andrew80 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:08 pm

But I need manual for that how those Mint-computers can be networked to debian or another program wich would be the fileserver.

I also need manuals for that, how Linux computers can talk to each other. To be connected. That is something that I need to learn and study.

So yes was good answer but I still didn't see url directions to manuals or support for those things. This is important. Please help me somebody.
It's true that I can google more but the reliability is another thing.
andrew80
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkvnmtr on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:29 pm

After having installed Mint a couple of times and Ubuntu maybe 50 times the only difference I see is it looks like someone is watching out for us on the software updates that we get to make the distro much safer to use. I don't see any difference in the core way the two distros do things. so I would think that a Ubuntu server would work very well with Mint desktops. Thus Ubuntu server books should answer all your questions.
mkvnmtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andrew80 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:49 pm

mkvnmtr wrote:After having installed Mint a couple of times and Ubuntu maybe 50 times the only difference I see is it looks like someone is watching out for us on the software updates that we get to make the distro much safer to use. I don't see any difference in the core way the two distros do things. so I would think that a Ubuntu server would work very well with Mint desktops. Thus Ubuntu server books should answer all your questions.

I heard that Mint is more stable to use than Ubuntu, and I prosume that you ment also that. Thank you very much. I dont really know what will be the hardware
that I have to use to make that Linux-Network. My own idea was that one machine would be fileserver. As I said already thank you. If Ubuntu server will work in that machine, I can
use that distribution. But Linux network is still mystery to me also because Linux Mint is new dist for me, but I'm ready to try it. If the result is positive, I will carry the flag of Linux Mint
where ever I go. :lol:
andrew80
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mkvnmtr on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 am

Yes Mint seems more stable to me although I have noticed my Ubuntu 8.10 on another box seems to have gotten a bit more stable in the last few days. I didn't get any updates but I did uninstall some things I don't use like compiz and bluetooth support and a few other things. I don't have a lot of time on Mint but I really like it and it seems a bit faster that Ubuntu on the same machine. It is a good choice but I would like to have it on my mac powerpc also.
mkvnmtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andrew80 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 am

Hi all again,

As I said before, I have the whole class to figure out how to configure it. Thanks for good advices, but would it bee too risky or not so stable idea to use repos that Mint includes. There are apache and other server progs that makes me a little bit confused. Is it possible to use them? Is it possible to configure server from Mint?

- Thank You - Peace & Mint -
- Andrew -
andrew80
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions