Acer Aspire One

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Acer Aspire One

Postby sbcwinn on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:46 am

I am a Linux newbie, and after fooling around with a lot of distros that only made me frustrated, I found Linux Mint and now took Windows off of my computer.

So naturally I would like to use Mint on my Acer Aspire One netbook, but I would like all of the devices on the machine to work. Does anyone know how to do this, or if it has been tried?
sbcwinn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Aspire One

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm

I have seen several reports that it works - sometimes with some quirks :)
This is one
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21430
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Acer Aspire One

Postby peteros on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm also a Linux newbie, but have been learning fast - and now have both Linux Mint 6 and Ubuntu 8.10 on my Acer Aspire One (version with 120GB HD) as a dual boot. Both systems working well... and what I found in the process may help others...

Started off with the Linpus Linux as supplied, but grew increasingly frustrated with the problems of getting it to work with the Huawei 220 mobile broadband dongle. Tried Ubuntu 8.10 from the distro, liked it and found it worked with the broadband dongle, so installed it and updated everything. Now the wifi didn't work! A bit of digging around on the Ubuntu Users' Forum came up with the solution - downloading the madwifi stuff and following some very clear instructions in the Terminal. Result: both wifi and broadband dongle all work, as does the little indicator light...

Then came across Linix Mint 6 - and loved it. So partitioned the HD and installed it. Same teething problems as for Ubuntu - wifi didn't work after updating the installation. Same remedy as for Ubuntu... follow the guidance on the Ubuntu Forum and download/install madwifi etc. Now all working well, and Mint has the advantage for me that I can directly access several hundred Word documents copied over to the Ubuntu home folder.

In the last week, I've used the Aspire One with Mint running every day, logging on to hotspots in Starbucks or using the broadband dongle. So far, solid and reliable. Only downside so far, compared with Linpus Linux, is that battery life is slightly down. I'll probably invest in the new, larger battery.
peteros
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions