X windows with Mint as client

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

X windows with Mint as client

Postby longhorntl on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I want to try and dump Windoze, but one of my problems is that I have to be able to run a specific application on another *nix box that must display X windows on my local Mint laptop. When I run the application "xterm" from the remote machine, I get the following: "Unable to open Display." The display variable on the remote machine is set to my IP address:0.0. Example: export DISPLAY=192.168.1.102:0.0. I have tried running xhost to allow anything to use me as an X server. So far, no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Linux Mint 6 32 bit
Hardware: Dell Latitude D830. 4 GB RAM. Intel dual core processor. nVidia Quadro NVS 140M display adapter using proprietary driver. Hard wire ethernet network. ssh to the remote box works fine.
longhorntl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: X windows with Mint as client

Postby n0n4m3fromro on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Try this:
Code: Select all
ssh -X remotehost

this enables X11 forwarding through ssh. After you're loged in to the remote host try to launch xterm. If everything is ok it should open up on your laptop's screen.
n0n4m3fromro
Level 1
Level 1

Re: X windows with Mint as client

Postby longhorntl on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks, but I get exactly the same error with
ssh -X <remote machine>

I even tried it after xhost +. Here is the exact error I get:

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 172.20.72.61:0.0

Loyal