Installation: I have a seperate /home partition in Kubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installation: I have a seperate /home partition in Kubuntu

Postby Dalamar on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:17 am

I'm currently using Kubuntu 8.04 and I would like to give Linux Mint (possibly KDE CE) a try. I have a separate /home partition. I know my files will be intact, but what about settings and other stuff like playlists and bookmarks in Firefox? Are the drivers also intact (I had to install driver for HP D2560)? Will I experience some "clash" because will move from Kubuntu to Mint?

Thanks for your answers!
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation: I have a seperate /home partition in Kubuntu

Postby garda on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 am

You will have your Firefox bookmarks and playlists intact after you install Mint, but not drivers as they are installed to some places on your root partition. So you definitely will have to reinstall any additional drivers on your new Mint installation.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Dalamar on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Got it. Thanks!

Will there be no conflicts when switching from Kubuntu to Mint?
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rhodry on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 am

Dalamar wrote:Got it. Thanks!

Will there be no conflicts when switching from Kubuntu to Mint?

I would tread VERY carefully here. You could face all sorts of nasties, depending largely on the apps you use. If you happen to run the Gnome version of Mint, I can almost guarantee you will have funny results.

I run 3 or 4 different distros on this machine at a time. One production system and others to keep myself up-to-date for supporting others basically. One of the main problems people do not think about when multi-booting Linuxes is that of "user id"!! Now Kubuntu & Mint may not be different (because Mint is based on Ubuntu) but others certainly are. That is to say, the default user id in Mint is 1000. However, in other distros it is 500. So, even if you use the same default user name in 2 distros, you can have different user id's & consequently all sorts of file permission issues!

Can I suggest that to simply 'have a look' at & experiment with Mint that:

1. obviously install it in a new partition away from kubuntu,
2. either do not seperate Mint's /home; rather leave it in the single / partition you create, or
3. use the existing /home ( NOT FORMATED AT INSTALL) but use a different default user name. This would be my suggestion.

You can then copy individual folders/files from user1 to user2 home and see if the relevant app still works ok. eg any simple .bashrc file should be fine. It is a bit more tortoise than hare this way, but, you only have to troubleshoot ONE set of variables at a time if anything does not work the way you expect.

Good luck.
rhodry
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Dalamar on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 am

So are you saying I'm better off with KDE CE instead of Main (GNOME)?
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rhodry on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:32 am

Dalamar wrote:So are you saying I'm better off with KDE CE instead of Main (GNOME)?

Well, if you are going to be trying a load of user config options that come from a Kubuntu (ie KDE) user, then yes I would think you will have much more chance of success staying within the same (or at least similar) desktop environment - ie KDE.

In my experience of Linux over 12 years or more; mixing desktop, application and/or user configurations between kde and gnome is just asking for trouble.

Having said that, sharing common data; like music files, videos, Documents, scripts, etc is exactly what I have always done. I run both Gnome & KDE distros on this machine - but I do not share config stuff. I might copy it to get me started, but then each distro/user is independent. BTW, I use the Foxmarks add-on in each copy of Firefox which synchronizes and backs up bookmarks perfectly.

Cheers,
rhodry.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions