Oops, deleted network & update icons from panel.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Oops, deleted network & update icons from panel.

Post by Patrissimo »

I thought I was just removing the Gnome Do icon but the update icon that looks like a lock vanished too.
I added the Mintupdate icon from the 'add to panel' option, but it looks like a medieval shield. Is it the same thing?

Big oops. The network connections icon went away at the same time. When I start the computer, I normally choose a manually configured connection from the icon.
I reinstalled the icon, it didn't offer me my any choice and now I have no internet connection. The new icon doesn't do the same stuff as the original. I went thru control center and nothing worked.

Rats, this all happened when I was trying to show someone in the office how cool Mint is. I restarted my computer to show him he could dual boot. Call me red-faced! Fortunately, he knows I'm a blockhead, so I don't think he'll blame Mint.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get my original icons back.
I won't be back in the office for 20 hours or so. If someone could point me in the right direction in the meantime, I'd be grateful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Oops, deleted update icon from panel.

Post by Patrissimo »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes. When I double click on it, Mintupdate comes up, but I wonder if it will show when I'm not updated.
pluraldave

Re: Oops, deleted network & update icons from panel.

Post by pluraldave »

I think you removed the notification area on your panel. It sounds like you tried to remove gnome do by a right click on the panel which you can't do. To remove gnome do you have to go into gnome do's preferences and select to not have a notification tray icon.

Try adding the notification area to your panel and see if that fixes it. Maybe you'll have to log out/in afterwards.

The shield for mintupdate is because you've added the mintupdate application launcher to your panel, it's not the same as the notification tray icon.
The network icon you have added is network monitor. The one that lives in the notification tray is network manager.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

Thanks Dave,
I'll try that tomorrow.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks.
hernando

Post by hernando »

Yep! I had exactly the same stupid problem! :roll:
Before reading this post I was lost... i even thought I would need to reinstall !

After reading it I re-Added Notification Area to the panel. The Wireless icon appeared, but the mintUpdate lock didn't inmmediately until I manually opened mintUpdate from the Menu... then the lock appeared magically.

This is great!

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”