Wireless keyboard question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wireless keyboard question

Postby Ferns on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:08 am

I recent bought the Logitech Wave keyboard and mouse combo. They work well but I've discovered something that, although not a problem now, could be later and I wondered if there was a solution. The keyboard doesn't work until I'm fully booted up, meaning I have no way of choosing an option at the grub menu. I'm fully Mint right now but if I decide to return to dual boot at some point, it would mean I couldn't choose which OS to boot to.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wireless keyboard question

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 am

Interesting observation Ferns. I never really thought about that. I really don't see an easy solution to that one either.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Wireless keyboard question

Postby garda on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:58 am

I believe you are having this problem because the transceiver unit connects to a USB port on your computer but you have not set the BIOS to handle USB keyboards. Without the proper BIOS setting, your keyboard is only usable once an operating system that is capable of recognizing USB input devices has been loaded. Furthermore, you will be having difficulty when you attempt to reinstall Windows, since Windows installer is not able to recognize USB input devices all by itself -- it needs assistance from the BIOS.

What you have to do now is grab a working PS/2 keyboard and plug it in to your computer so that you can enter the BIOS settings menu and locate then alter the relevant setting/settings in order to be able to use your USB input device outside of an operating system environment. You would have refer to the users manual that came with your motherboard to know which setting/settings to change but, as far as I know, it is typically dubbed 'USB Legacy Support' or 'USB Keyboard Support'.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions