installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Postby eianonohahacaca on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:43 am

I have Ubuntu 8.04 with a separate home partition. If I only install Mint 6 to the / partition keeping the /home would there be much configuration problems.
I am using gnome desktop with no special hardware configurations.
eianonohahacaca
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Postby DataMan on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:21 am

I'm thinking that if you do not specify a location for "/home" during the install process, it will install "/home" in the same partition as your "/" by default. Going this route would afford less chance of something getting messed up between the install "/home" and your Ubuntu "/home".

After you have gone through the installation, you could merely edit your fstab file to point to your Ubuntu "/home", reboot and see if all is happy (recommend just commenting out the installed "/home" line in your fstab for this effort). If all is happy, you're good to go. If not, change your fstab and use something like Krusader to copy pertinent settings from the Ubuntu to your new /home.

As always in the world of Lx, just one of many approaches to the same problem....

Good Luck,

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Postby eianonohahacaca on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks, this machine is rather low spec with 500 MHz and 520 MB RAM.
Do you think Mint 6 will run faster or about the same as Ubuntu 8.04?
eianonohahacaca
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions