running mint on a mac

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

running mint on a mac

Postby gremln on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm

i was wondering how to run mint on a power pc ibook g4. would i need a emulator? is mint compatible with my processor?
gremln

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: running mint on a mac

Postby foggytown on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:04 pm

gremln wrote:i was wondering how to run mint on a power pc ibook g4. would i need a emulator? is mint compatible with my processor?

Sorry gremln, it isn't compiled for PPC. You would need an Intel Mac or a cheap PC to run it. You might be able to get it to run in an emulator like Virtual PC, but it would be so slow as not to be worth it.

Do a google search for "PPC Linux" and see what distributions turn up...I know that Ubuntu has discontinued their version and I am unsure if Yellow Dog is still under development...

Good luck.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gremln on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:08 pm

thanks, but i cant use vitalization software, since i have a ppc model (much of it is incompatible and proprietary ). I want to run mint, not os x or ubuntu or yellow dog. Maybe i might need a new computer, or an old windoze machine. i love what i have seen and heard about mint, and it seems to answer so many questionable things that are present in ubuntu, but, i want to use it myself
gremln

Postby mbrocknroll on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 pm

may i suggest opensuse buddy
it is rock solid and just great - i had problem that some linux distros (debian based) won't work when my IP address is 68.xxx+ but not with opensuse - it is the most rock solid linux - probably because it is backed by novell and used as enterprise solution
it runs on ppcs too
download link is here
http://software.opensuse.org/
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbrocknroll on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:55 pm

it takes abt 2 hrs with regular dsl line to download opensuse - forgot to tell you that - iso file is abt 690 mb
if you want to transfer opensuse ppc to flash drive and run it from flash drive here is a link how to do it
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-suse-f ... e-install/
by the way when you run opensuse you need to install cedecs and flash separately because due to licensing problems they do not come with installation but it is real easy to do it
here is link for installing codecs and flash
opensuse-community.org/codecs-kde.ymp
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbrocknroll on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:05 pm

i agree with you that mint is great
mint and dreamlinux are 2 best windows alternative and both are much better than windows
mint has some problem with flash - becomes unresponsive sometimes - as i read in this forum solution is to uninstall flash and install it back directly from adobe's web site
what i like abt mint and dreamlinux both come with flash and codecs preloaded and both load real quick for linux
dreamlinux mimics mac with dock - new version was out just 2 days ago - if you like mac you'll like it - probably won't be able to download it - everyone is trying to download new version so download link shows download server has no bandwidth - solution is to wait a few days and than try to do it
both are real great windows alternative
mbrocknroll
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gremln on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:10 pm

as much as i would love to ditch tiger for mint, i do not want to run any other distro. i'll find a windoze machine to customize since parts are prevalent.
gremln

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions