ATI HD4850 with Linux Mint 6 - how?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI HD4850 with Linux Mint 6 - how?

Postby inanarc on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 am

Right, the second problem I'm having with this default install of Linux Mint 6 is with the ATI graphics card (an HD4850 512MB thing) - I tried the proprietary driver process, twice. Both times, no luck.

First time (after a little while downloading, or perhaps trying to), a small window came up showing a solid red circle containing a white dash, and nothing else. Second time (soon after) it did absolutely nothing. That I could see, that is.

I've noticed that there is an entry for 'ATI Catalyst Control Center' in my list of apps (on the start menu)... so, either that was there to begin with (unlikely), or it got put there, most likely during the first attempt to install said drivers and stuff.

So, what happened, and what do I do now, given that I want to be able to use the 3d capabilities of the graphics card, and at the moment, can't?
inanarc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI HD4850 with Linux Mint 6 - how?

Postby Alpha-Geek on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:04 am

I have an ATI HD3850. All I did was to install Envy via "Package Manager" & then run Envy. It installed ATI drivers & everything worked perfectly.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ATI HD4850 with Linux Mint 6 - how?

Postby inanarc on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 am

Good to know! If linux mint had suggested that, or even if it hadn't suggested installing the drivers by means of a flashing icon in the tray (not long after installation) I *might* have found that out anyway.

But I might not have, so thanks. :) I'll try it, and report back ASAP.
inanarc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions