Using Downloads

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Using Downloads

Postby Sean82 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Hello,

I did not install my Linux Mint. Someone gave me a computer with it installed on it. This operating system has been awesome, and I am just pumped to have a computer. I purchased a study guide ebook online but cannot download it. It always states that "An error occurred while loading the archive." Can someone lend me some insight?

Thank you much.

Enjoy,
Sean
Sean82
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Using Downloads

Postby Decemberdoom on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Try right clicking on it, clicking "save target as" and saving it somewhere on your computer. Then right click on it and select "open with" and then select a suitable program to open ebooks.

A file archiver might be trying to open your ebook, which might be the problem.
[url]decemberdoom.wordpress.com[/url] Check out my blog.

You know you want to.
Decemberdoom
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Using Downloads

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Sean82 wrote:
I purchased a study guide ebook on-line but cannot download it. It always states that "An error occurred while loading the archive."

Are you sure that the eBook is compatible with Linux? Often they are proprietary and have their own readers and copy protection built in. The file you were trying to download doesn't have an .exe file extension does it? If it does, that is your problem. It is a Windows program.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions