What Do You Do When...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What Do You Do When...

Postby Gunmetal_Ghoul on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm

If, God forbid, you install Linux (any distro) onto a laptop computer and discover that something is not recognized/supported what do you do. I know the live CD is useful for giving out clues for hardware detection and all, but I used a live CD for both Wolvix and PC-BSD and I found that things (like USB drives and MP3 players) just weren't being detected. I had no problems with Mint and would give it stellar reviews hardware wise, but I also feel this could be very disappointing for new Linux users. What can a newbie do?
Life's too short to keep things in their "out-of-the-box" condition....
Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What Do You Do When...

Postby exjinn on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Well, many do exactly what you are doing, post a question in an online forum specific to their distro or on linuxquestions.org. There is also a large amount of documentation out there for the new Linux user and a simple Google search can also yeild wealth of information.
Acer Aspire 6530 - 2.0 Ghz AMD Turion X2 64-bit | 4 gigs ram | 320 gb hd | ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 HD 512mb
Linux Mint 9 x64 GNOME and/or Openbox
exjinn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions