Can MS Office be installed on Linux Mint 6

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can MS Office be installed on Linux Mint 6

Post by altair4 »

will it run on Laptops and does it have all the necesary drivers to run on a Laptop
. The Mint install disk is a LiveCD meaning that when you boot to it it runs in memory and doesn't install anything until you tell it to. This allows you to boot to the LiveCD and find out for yourself if it will run on your particular hardware before you install.
will MS office 2007 run on Linux Mint 6
Short answer, no. You have 3 options:
(1) See if OpenOffice which comes with Mint ( and can also be installed in windows ) has all the capabilities that you need. They have tried to be compatible with MS Office but only you can decide if it's compatible enough.
(2) Wine. It's an application that installs into linux that attempts to run Windows applications. Never had much luck with wine myself.
(3) VirtualBox. It creates an environment into which you actually install Windows and then you can install MS Office onto that. You will basically be running Windows on top of Linux simultaneously. You will have to have a Windows Install Disk to do that however.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

I second the comment about OpenOffice. That may work well enough for you, even if the compatibility is not perfect. Or it may not.

Note that the version of OO that comes with Mint 6 is 2.4.1. There is a way to get a newer version of OO (3.0) once you've installed Mint. Supposedly, the compatibility with Office 2007 is better in 3.0, though I don't think anybody is claiming it's perfect. Still, it may be good enough. I'm not sure, however, whether OO 3.0 will save in Office 2007 formats; I know it's supposed to be able to read them.

Some older versions of Office are supposed to work fine in Wine, but last I heard Office 2007 didn't--yet, anyway.

I have no experience with VirtualBox, but I know people have made it work.

Another alternative, if you already have Windows on your laptop, is to dual-boot--that is, keep Windows for schoolwork and add a Mint install for everything else. I do this myself: I use XP only for iTunes and semipro music recording (and I may drop iTunes if I can get my iPod set up with Rhythmbox or Amarok), and Mint for literally everything else.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I think it should be there. Right click the Mintmenu button on your panel and choose edit menu.

In the left hand column marked "menus" click on "office".

Is presentation listed in the right hand column ? Tick the box to show it if it is hidden by default.

You might have to right click the mintmenu again and choose "reload pluggins" after you have done this if it still does not show.

Also if you really need MS Office then Crossover can run it. You have to pay for it though and some features may not work. For instance when I tried it some months ago macros didn't work. Everything else seemed ok in Word and Excel but I didn't really try it once I found I couldn't run my old VB macros anyway.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

I'm not in front of my Mint box right now, but the PowerPoint alternative may not be under the "Office" submenu; it might be in "Graphics" or something. Look under the "All" submenu and see if it's there. Because I rarely use it, I can't remember what OO calls their PowerPoint alternative. Is it maybe "Impress," or does the Mint version call it "Presentation"?
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Its name is Impress but it's in the Office menu under "Openoffice.org Presentation". All the OO apps are labelled as "Openoffice.org Description" instead of their proper names
yahtzeek9

Post by yahtzeek9 »

Another Option which wasn't mentioned is CrossOver Office. It is a proprietary software that cost around $60 but I think it works well for many Windows apps.

BTW-- to run windows in virtualbox you would have to have windows on a cd and then install MS Office on that.

The real solution is to just USE OpenOffice. The compatibility is great until you start to get fancy with the graphics.Openoffice may not be AS feature rich but 98% of everything you would use MS Office for you could use OpenOffice.
garda

Post by garda »

Instead of spending your cash for CrossOver, you might want to give PlayOnLinux (POL) a shot. It has the same goal with CrossOver, but for free. The best part is, it can download and install the version of Wine that works best for a particular software plus a lot more. I personally prefer POL over CrossOver.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Try http://www.programmerfish.com/roffice-2007-in-linux

How to Run Microsoft Office 2007 in Ubuntu Linux 8.10
using wine

(never tried it as I have Never used windows ;)

Nick

Return to “Beginner Questions”