Linux Fresh Install Problem!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux Fresh Install Problem!!

Postby taffy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Hello Peeps, I feel like a blind man trying to read braille for the first time. I have just moved over to Linux from Windows as I cant be bothered with it any more :D. So I have done several fresh installs on a dedicated HDD just for Linux Mint. All goes well apart from when I stop using the Live CD. Upon boot this is the error I receive:

Starting up...
Loading, Please Wait...
usplash: Setting mode 1152x864 Failed
usplash: Using mode 1024x768
Gave up waiting for root device. Common Problems:
- boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/sdf1 does not exist. Dropping to shell.

It has done this on every clean install I do to the HDD I have installed in the machine. Can anybody please assist :)
taffy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Fresh Install Problem!!

Postby Reaper29 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:02 pm

try to burn a new live cd. possible that while yours was downloading/burner it got messed up.
Reaper29
Level 1
Level 1

Postby taffy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 am

I come accross Linux format magazine which had the latest linux mint on their. So Installed and happy days :) Thanks :)
taffy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frannie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Mint actually installs into Windows Operating System by creating a partition within Windows itself being the closest thing to having it integrated into your computer which means the OS functionality is much greater. For example, you cannot save your personal data to a Live CD, apparently.

You can, of course, later install it permanently onto the HDD if you choose. Mint has an inbuilt partitioning prog and its pdf online instruction manual takes you through the steps very clearly.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions