Can't watch commercial videos such as YouTube, Google, etc.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't watch commercial videos such as YouTube, Google, etc.

Postby Frannie on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:26 pm

I've just installed Linux Mint, but can seem to get the commercial videos to play. There's no sound or picture.

I'd be so pleased if somebody could through some light on this mystery.

Thanks up front.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't watch commercial videos such as YouTube, Google, etc.

Postby Husse on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 am

Which version exactly of Mint?
This is a flash problem. There is an update to flash in mintUpdate
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Frannie on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am

Hi Husse

Thanks for your response.

I'm using the new Mint 6 and I completed all the Mint 6 updates yesterday.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frannie on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm

I figured it out in the end.

I was installing Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader in the tarball and rpm format. When one didn't work I tried the latter which didn't work either.
It turned out, I should have been downloading both in the .deb format which did work. From now on, I shall download everything in that format.

Hope this is of future help to anybody running into the same or similar problem.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vazovskiiii on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 am

i had same problem on linux mint 6 that was gnome edition so i've reinstall it wit linux mint felicia XFCE edition and it's works perfect everything works just perfect :) so belive me just reinstall with felicia XFCE edition, flash player installation won't help you it's did not helped me before i did not reinstall with XFCE edition it's awsome
vazovskiiii
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frannie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks for the tips, vazovskill. I probably will do what you have done and download the XFCE edition of Mint too.

By the way, did you uninstall your old version before installing Felicia XFCE or were you able to install over the top of Main Mint?

The .deb version of Adobe Flash Player fixed my video sound and picture problem. The tr. and rpm formats didn't work.

I notice there is plain deb and rpm and there is .deb and .rpm. Obviously, the period stop in front must stand for separate formats or something.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Frannie on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Vazovskillk I had a look on the Debian website and I like the sound of that OS as well.

Apparently, Debian is a a proper Operating System in its own right, although the writers share programme components, etc with Mint, Ubuntu and other Debian-based platforms.

I attempted to download it via Mint's 'write to disc' facility which automatically popped up on screen soon after I clicked on Debian's download link.
All went well, but close to the finish of the download, I got an error code saying ' can't find autorun' and couldn't open the CD folder to be able to drag the files over to the burner software.

It's a good thing I've still got Windows XP aboard which I used to download and burn Mint with earlier this week.
Frannie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kelvin273 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:51 am

And it looks like the update actually caused more problems. Now no flash application will stay loaded for more than a few minutes for me.
kelvin273
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions