Shutdown, suspend and hibernate problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Shutdown, suspend and hibernate problems

Postby glkarpicky on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 am

I've been using Mint since Elyssa on 2 Compaq's on home network and have never been able to successfully suspend/Hibernate on the SR2170NX. I recently did a fresh install of Felicia and now I cannot shutdown, as well as not suspend/hibernate(while the other system works fine!). I've looked at the Mint Forums as well as Ubuntu Hardy & Ibex and tried several recommendations with no luck. The current problem with shutdown is forcing me to consider another distro or just going back to windoz as the only way I can shut down is to hold the Power button down for 5 seconds and that will ruin my HD sooner or later. I'm running XP & Felicia on a Compaq SR2170NX with a NVIDIA 7200 video cards and Realtek audio.(the machine originally came w/Vist but I deleted it and put XP Home on instead).(I have been unable to update the BIOS as ms only has updates for Vista) I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer as i hate to throw my money at billion $ bill, but I'm at the point of just giving up.
When I select "Shutdown" from the Mint Menu, the splash screen appears, the green bar slides off, the keyboard lights flash and then go off and the system hangs, fans going , splash screen there, mouse & keyboard unresponsive. I've left the system in this state for several hours before finally just unplugging the machine. I now have to restart (which works), switch to XP and shut down from there.
If anyone has any idea of a solution (I've tried disabling network connection), the help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all. :?:
glkarpicky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shutdown, suspend and hibernate problems

Postby Fornhamfred on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi

This sounds like an ACPI problem which I have just had with a windows installation. If you run the live CD on the machine which will not shutdown does it shutdown OK?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby glkarpicky on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

Thank you Fornhamfred.
I tried running an OpenSuse live disk and it had the same problem. I also tried typing "shutdown -h now" in the command line. The splash screen comes on, the line progresses, the numlock, capslock, & scrolllock lights flash, then nothing. Power light is still on, disk is still spinning, fans still running. Restart works fine.
This is really baffling. I read somewhere about a possible corrupt swap partition, but have been unable to find that thread again.
It also seems a lot of people in Felicia and Ibex are struggling with the same problem.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, as I'm currently shutting down by rebooting to XP and successfully shutting down from there.
Also, I am the only profile on the machine, so there should not be a conflict with other users on the network, especially as I don't even have Samba installed. I have also tried disabling the Network Manager, but still had the same problem.
Really baffling. :?:
glkarpicky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Did the LIve CD shutdown OK?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby glkarpicky on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Fornhamfred:
The live CD hung at shutdown too.

The problem seems to have started about 3 weeks ago. I had been using Felicia fine for several weeks without problems. About the only thing different was I updated some drivers on the XP side.
Then about 3 wks ago, the machine would not shutdown occasionally.
Now it does not shutdown from Linux, (installed or live cd). I have to restart (which it does fin), go to XP and shutdown from there.
Really weird.

Thanks
glkarpicky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby glkarpicky on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:42 am

Fornhamfred:
I found this entry on linuxquestions.org http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/shutdown-problem-with-ubuntu-8.10-intrepid-ibex-696744/ and entered the changes as listed. So far so good. I have been able to successfully shutdown from the menu three times now. I still want to test some more, but this is the best it has been working in weeks. Perhaps someone else who has experienced this problem with Felicia can try the fix and post the results.
Meantime, I'll keep checking to be sure the fix didn't create any problems and the machine continues to shutdown properly.
Thanks again.
glkarpicky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 am

Glad it looks as though you found the answer.

My initial reaction was based on trouble I had installing XP on a machine which had exactly the same problem after a fresh install. The only difference being that when I ran Mint from Live CD it would power down. Found that XP had installed the wrong HAL ( did not apply ACPI). Found this by watching the verbose install of Mint which was the only version of Linux that I had that set acpi to on and then powered down.

I can't see why your machines would after time exhibit this problem but that is computers.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby glkarpicky on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:36 am

Why it suddenly developed the problem is a mystery to me too. I think part of the problem may be that my machine is 64-bit & came with Vista home. I got so frustrated trying to dual boot, I wiped the disk & installed XP then Mint on another partition. And since Billion$Bill has convinced HP & Intel only to release BIOS & driver updates for Vista, I've been somewhat sc**wed trying to keep things current.
But the fix mentioned above has been working for 4+ days and I rarely use windoz so I'm happy now.

"Windoz, the nagging apprehension that somehow, somewhere, someone may be happily computing!" :D
glkarpicky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions