Everything slowing to a halt

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Everything slowing to a halt

Postby Ferns on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 pm

I have Felicia installed and yesterday after watching a dvd, everything went weird. Thunderbird took over 5 minutes to start, Firefox the same, the file manager even longer. The mouse cursor was kept taking seconds to catch up with the movement of the mouse. I tried copying a 10Mb file from one folder to another and it reported a time to finish of 35 minutes, and that's exactly what it took.

I stopped Compiz to see if that would help but it never, I even rebooted but still no joy. Today it still the same, so I decided to do a manual backup to my external, just in case. That's taken the whole evening and it's still not done.

Can anyone advise on anything else I can try before I decide just to delete the partition and start from scratch.
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Everything slowing to a halt

Postby altair4 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:11 pm

You can find out what's eating all your resources in two ways:

OLD SCHOOL:
Open Terminal
Type top

GUI WAY:
Menu > Administration > System Monitor > Processes Tab
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Ferns on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 am

I did both methods but to be honest, my newbie status is such that the bulk of process I see mean nothing to me. I did however, record the following info.

System Monitor and Firefox open

cpu fluctuating between 11% to 100%

mem at 317.3Mb of 2.5Gb

swap 0 bytes of 6.1Gb

112 process running, and adding the figures given (that took some time btw), it came to 309.9Mb, the biggest being firefox at bang on 80Mb.

For my processor, it quotes AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor 3200+, and I have 38.5Gb free hd space left from the original 140Gb
Ferns
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pierre on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 am

my 1st reaction was that the swap file is waaay tooo big. = 1024Mb max - with your amount of memory - a quarter of that.
also there must be some very big files on the hdd, to gobble up that much real estate.
& mint is spending too much time accessing them.
:)
Pierre
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions