Pop-up description in my menu's

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Pop-up description in my menu's

Postby cazmatazzz on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Hello I recently installed linux mint for the first time and i have to say that I really like it, it looks nice and works quite well on my somewhat older laptop.

Although I am not a complete newbie, having used ubuntu for quite a while, there is still one thing in linux mint which i cannot for the life of me figure out.

Which is the following: when I move my mouse over menu items a little black box with a description of the item i.e. "Home Folder. Open your personal Folder" or "Rhythmbox Music Player. Play and organize...."

Well this is annoying the hell out of me, and I have searched everywhere and tried everyhting but I just cannot find a way to turn it off (I know its somewhere but I just can't find it....)

please help....
cazmatazzz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pop-up description in my menu's

Postby garda on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:21 pm

To turn off menu tooltips, fire up gconf-editor then navigate to /apps/panel/global and clear the tick next to tooltips_enabled.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm

garda wrote:To turn off menu tooltips, fire up gconf-editor then navigate to /apps/panel/global and clear the tick next to tooltips_enabled.

Or, you can right click on the Mintmenu Icon , select Preferences => Applications, and deselect "Show Application Comments".

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby cazmatazzz on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 am

for an instant i thought it worked, i have tried both options but still those tooltips are present.... but now they're present only in the mint menu bar. if i turn off application comments a list below the applications is removed, i actually get a little box (dark blue, blackish) with extra tips right next to my mouse.... and for example when i am in control panel i also get these 'tips'
cazmatazzz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions