Pop-up description in my menu's

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Pop-up description in my menu's

Postby cazmatazzz on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Hello I recently installed linux mint for the first time and i have to say that I really like it, it looks nice and works quite well on my somewhat older laptop.

Although I am not a complete newbie, having used ubuntu for quite a while, there is still one thing in linux mint which i cannot for the life of me figure out.

Which is the following: when I move my mouse over menu items a little black box with a description of the item i.e. "Home Folder. Open your personal Folder" or "Rhythmbox Music Player. Play and organize...."

Well this is annoying the hell out of me, and I have searched everywhere and tried everyhting but I just cannot find a way to turn it off (I know its somewhere but I just can't find it....)

please help....
cazmatazzz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pop-up description in my menu's

Postby garda on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:21 pm

To turn off menu tooltips, fire up gconf-editor then navigate to /apps/panel/global and clear the tick next to tooltips_enabled.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm

garda wrote:To turn off menu tooltips, fire up gconf-editor then navigate to /apps/panel/global and clear the tick next to tooltips_enabled.

Or, you can right click on the Mintmenu Icon , select Preferences => Applications, and deselect "Show Application Comments".

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby cazmatazzz on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:36 am

for an instant i thought it worked, i have tried both options but still those tooltips are present.... but now they're present only in the mint menu bar. if i turn off application comments a list below the applications is removed, i actually get a little box (dark blue, blackish) with extra tips right next to my mouse.... and for example when i am in control panel i also get these 'tips'
cazmatazzz
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions