new to linux and installing wireless

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

new to linux and installing wireless

Postby mattm86 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Ok i am completely new to linux first ever install my buddy told me this would be the best start for me(mint). He has left town for the week so i cannot ask him my stupid question. My main issue is not being able to connect to the internet through my Netgear wireless WG311v3 wireless card. I have tried the terminal thing but im probally sure its just me not knowing what i am doing. I have the cd and i tried instilling from the cd the inf file and that doesnt work.

First try
open terminal type in
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces.

it opens a screen then i type
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

i click save then close and it gives me an error, something like couldn't create file in directory or something il write it down next time.

Im not sure if im doing it right tho

Any help for a 100% windows user would be great, and in the dumbest way possible because i dont understand linux at all.
mattm86
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: new to linux and installing wireless

Postby pluraldave on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:46 am

Open a terminal and type
Code: Select all
lspci

and you can find the name for your wireless chipset. Search the mint forum for that name and maybe someone has already solved this problem. You can also search for ubuntu solutions as mint is based on ubuntu. If you can't find a solution or need more help post back here with the lspci results and someone should be able to help you. Also were you using the "windiws wireless drivers" utility to try to install the .inf file?
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions