Browse windows break Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Browse windows break Gnome

Postby jlb0057 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Whenever I try to open "Browse. . ." or "Open. . ." or "Save as. . ." windows, Gnome freezes and usually becomes completely unresponsive to any keyboard or mouse input. Sometimes I can Ctrl+Alt+F1 to the terminal, but most times a hard reset is required. This issue does not occur when Appearance-->Visual Effects is set to None.

I have Nvidia Geforce 8200M with 180.11 driver installed and verified at Nvidia X Server Settings. Running compiz-check gives all OK. xorg.conf seems to be okay showing:

Code: Select all
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8200M G"
EndSection

Is my card simply unable to support any visual effects? Does anyone have suggestions of settings or setup info to check?
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Browse windows break Gnome

Postby viking777 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I don't know whether this site will help at all, it seems to suggest that your card should be OK as long as it has 64Mb ram of its own.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Hardware/NVIDIA

Given when this is happening, I wonder if it might be a problem with Nautilus, though why it should disappear when you switch off desktop effects I don't know.

Have a go at this. Open a terminal and (with effects switched on) type:

nautilus /home/yourusername/Documents

Assuming of course you have a folder in your home called 'Documents' if not choose something else.

See if you get any warnings and if possible copy them (or note down the basics if you get another freeze) and post the results here. That might give us a clue.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jlb0057 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:23 pm

I tried the suggested command with Visual Effects set to 'Extra' and received no error message or freezing (see below). As expected, a window was launched containing the contents of my 'Documents' directory.

jason@lm-laptop / $ nautilus /home/jason/Documents
jason@lm-laptop / $

I am suspicious that maybe resizing of windows is the issue. Since my original post, I have also created the desktop freeze by manually resizing windows, e.g. clicking on and dragging the border of a window. I also have noticed that, even with Visual Effects off, an 'Open' or 'Browse' window starts as a small window and then immediately expands to a suitable size. When effects are on, it is during this expanding or resizing that the freezing occurs. I have not noticed problems with the desktop or Gnome at any other time.
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:33 am

In that case I would open Compiz Config Settings Manager and have a trawl around in there for a setting that relates to resizing and then just disable or alter that particular setting and see what happens then. I can't be more specific than that because I don't use Compiz so for me CCSM is empty.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jlb0057 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks very much for your time and effort, viking. I will take a look at the Compiz settings when I get home to my laptop.

May I inquire about your X Window setup? Do you use Gnome with Compiz completely removed? Or do you use another windows manager?
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:21 pm

I don't even use Gnome, I use Xfce, which suits me better, it is capable of running a compositing window manager - which allows me to use the awn dock - but does not have any visual effects which I find superfluous, even annoying.

BTW thank you very much for asking that question. It prompted me to think why do I have CCSM installed when I don't have Compiz? The answer to that question is that I have just never thought to remove it before, now I have, so thank you for reminding me.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jlb0057 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks very much for sharing. I googled 'compositing window manager' and 'awn dock' and found that I very much like the awn launcher. I plan to try it soon. Likewise with Xfce.

As you would expect, the visual effects from Compiz are not an absolute necessity for me. However, for my own knowledge, I would like to determine what is causing the problem with my system. One reason I moved to LM from Vista was to learn how to do more than just click a button or hyperlink!

Pardon the OT post, I have yet to look at the CCSM on my laptop. Thanks to your direction and some further googling, it seems that many users have issues with Compiz resizing set to "Normal" as it continuously redraws the window as it is being resized. I am anxious to see if changing this solves the problem.
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jlb0057 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Unfortuately, no luck. I tried disabling any Compiz effects that would affect window resizing, scaling, movement, etc. My desktop still freezes whenever I have Appearance-->Visual Effects set to anything besides 'None.' This is becoming very frustrating! I just do not understand why I cannot get Compiz to work when it should be compatible with my hardware.

Any other suggestions? Please!
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't have an Nvidia card in my laptop, however I read somewhere (can't remember what site it was), but it mentioned something about the 180.x driver not working properly. I think the 177.x driver was said to work better. Maybe give that a try?
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jlb0057 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm

I've gone with Xfce and completely uninstalled Compiz as per viking's example. It's a cop-out on my part, but I am tired of being frustrated with this and want to move on. I'm sure I'll come back to it later.

I was using the 177 driver at first and "upgraded" to the 180 driver in an attempt at a solution. I think I have maybe some installation or setup issues, because Firefox sometimes takes up almost all CPU usage & streaming audio/video is very choppy. But those issues are for another thread at another time.
jlb0057
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions