(Solved) nautilus problem,haven't seen this before-plse help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

(Solved) nautilus problem,haven't seen this before-plse help

Postby huntwell on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Not sure what I did, but when I restarted my computer the desktop showed a new icon that is named, "Audio Disc.volume" and when I cut and pasted the name, it posts this, "x-nautilus-desktop:///Audio%20Disc.volume." When I try to delete this icon from the desktop, I get an error stating, "Error while deleting." I will attach the error windows that show up when I try and delete.

I have also had something (a folder) show up in the "places" section of the gnome manager below the video folder that is titled, "x-nautilus-desktop: Audio Disc.volume" and when I click on it I get an error message also that I will provide a screenshot of as an attachment.

I am hoping that someone can help me with this. Thank you in advance for any help.
Attachments
Screenshot-Error.png
Screenshot-Error.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Screenshot-Untitled Window.png
Screenshot-Untitled Window.png (18.66 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Last edited by huntwell on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: nautilus problem, haven't seen this before-please help

Postby garda on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

I still cannot figure out what possibly happened, but have you managed to get some clue?

Does your computer/the OS exhibit any sort of unusual behavior?
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: nautilus problem, haven't seen this before-please help

Postby huntwell on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 am

garda,

Thanks for the response. I didn't notice anything strange with how the OS operated or anything strange with the desktop. I think I may have figured out what the glitch was, but not sure why it happened since I have done the same actions before without the result of this kind of problem. I recalled that prior to these errors I had been playing CDs and loading music into the library in Rythmbox and Songbird. I put in a CD again and noticed that where the icon showed up with the title "Audio Disc.volume" prior to inserting the CD, then showed the CD icon and "Audio Disc" as usual when a CD is inserted and loaded. I then thought that it might be worth trying to unmount the volume prior to ejecting the CD. I did that and it removed the icon showing "Audio Disc.volume" and when I went to Places=>Nautilus file, I clicked on it and it disappeared as well.

Not sure what else I may have done inadvertently to fix the problem, but I quit having the problem. I thought I would try to duplicate the problem and see if what I did was a reliable fix, but I added Compiz Atlantis and it ended up crashing my computer and I had to reinstall Mint. Since the reinstall, I have tried to get the errors to occur again, but have failed to do so. I guess at this point, I should mark this as solved. Let me know if you gain any insight into this.

Thanks again for the response.
huntwell
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved) nautilus problem,haven't seen this before-plse help

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:40 am

huntwell,

I know nobody wants to hear this, but I firmly believe that a lot of these strange, unrepeatable problems are due to bad burns on the installation disks.

I see a lot of these problems from relatively new users, and almost none from experienced users. Distros use very aggressive data compression. This means the data density is quit high, making the burn process more difficult for the cd/dvd drive to accomplish without errors. With music or video this isn't a problem. A bad bit once in a while goes completely unnoticed. Not so with program code. Every bit counts. Even if the data is error free on the disk and the md5 sum checks correctly, the signal strength of each and every bit may not be up to par so the read process might not be consistently error free. It is an established fact that even if the md5 sum of the disk checks correctly once, you can still have a disk that won't install correctly every time.

Experienced users are aware of these issues and always burn s-l-o-w and in a RAW burn mode. They have learned over time that this is necessary to get a consistently good burn. They will also use a brand of disk that experience has taught them works good in their burners.

With many new users, they either don't know or don't believe this is important and wind up with something less than a perfect install. Most times this goes unnoticed as Windows users are used to random crashes that come and go with no rational cause. Long time Linux users don't accept this kind of behavior as normal, because it isn't for Linux.

At any rate, that is my theory. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Newbie Questions