Whers winamp and home cinema?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Whers winamp and home cinema?

Postby rn2001 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:20 pm

I just installed the Mint a couple of days ago and am looking for a multimedia player that can load a playlist and won't show through the other windows. I tried the XMMS , installed it twice, but there no sign of it. I find alot of the instructions with thes players are fine up to a point until I get stuck and then don't know wher to go. Are ther some general basic commands I need to learn for installing software in general. OK Windows Free :)
rn2001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Whers winamp and home cinema?

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:27 am

I use exaile for music and VLC for video.
Other popular music players are: Amarok, Banshee, Songbird.
If you check in the MintMenu, under Sound & Video, you should find some default players you might like. Im not sure but I think Rhythmbox might be installed by default which is an audio player. Then there might be MPlayer and movie player installed by defualt too for video.

You can install software through Mint Software Manager and Synaptic Package Manager, both on the left-hand column of the MintMenu.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby garda on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:30 pm

The version of XMMS available in the repos for Hardy onwards -- that translates to Elyssa and later -- is a CLI-only version and therefore is not listed anywhere as a shortcut. You have to run it directly in a Terminal window or in a console.

If you want a GUI software akin to Winamp, you might want to give Audacious -- Audios only -- a whirl. Xine-ui is a good video player too, but I personally prefer VLC.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lycanthis on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Audacity is a good substitute for Winamp. However you may want to consider Songbird or Amarok, the heavyweights of Linux music.

For movies: VLC and SMplayer -- can't do without them :D
lycanthis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm

The only problem with installing Amarok would also be getting all the baggage that comes with it, which will be a lot of the KDE dependencies it needs to run. Not something you'd want to do if you're a Gnome purist.

Personally I absolutely love Banshee. It has everything I need and more for playing music, and videos if you desire, but I use VLC for video/DVD watching.

But if you like the look of Amarok, then Exaile would be a solution, since it runs and acts very similar to Amarok, but written for GTK+
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions