How Much Ubuntu-Based?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How Much Ubuntu-Based?

Postby TimmyMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey, all...

I did a search and didn't find the answer to my question, so apologies if it's been asked & answered before.

Anyway, I've been using Ubuntu (and then Kubuntu) for years. However, there's a bug in 8.10 that makes my computer pretty unusable. I don't want to give up on Linux, so I'm looking for a new distro. I know Mint's based on Ubuntu - how likely is it that the bug that exists in 8.10 also exists in the current Mint release?

(I know I can just install it and see, but I'd like to save myself some time and heartache if at all possible).
TimmyMac
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How Much Ubuntu-Based?

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm

TimmyMac,

With the information you gave, it would be impossible to answer that question with any degree of accuracy at all.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby badmotor on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:38 pm

and have you tried the live cd to see if it is compatible with your hardware? I'd start there.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby TimmyMac on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 am

I've had more than one Live CD from more than one distro look good on my machine, only to have the install not work.

My question is: there's a bug in Ubuntu 8.10 that makes my old SiS graphics card not work properly. Yes, I know it's a crappy card, but it worked in 8.04, 7.10, and 7.04. Rather than endure the workarounds, I want a new distro. If Mint's just Ubuntu with extra codecs, then I'll look elsewhere. If there's a good chance this bug may have been addressed in Mint even though it hasn't been addressed in Ubuntu, then I'll give it a whack.
TimmyMac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 am

TimmyMac,

With the new info you gave I would say you have about a 30% chance of it working in Mint if it doesn't in Ubuntu. But I would be quick to add that is a pie-in-the-sky guestimate on my part. :-)

Mint does do a little better picking up equipment it seems. Have you looked around for a sane work-a-round?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby piratesmack on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:06 am

I think the problem is with xorg. (I could be wrong)
Mint 6 uses the same xorg as Ubuntu 8.10, so it will probably have the same problem.

Why can't you continue to use 8.04 until the problem is fixed?
It's a LTS release.

I think Ubuntu 9.04 comes out in April, you can try the Alpha now
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TimmyMac on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:07 am

I used 8.04, and it was fine. Upgraded (not at all the right word for it) to 8.10, and got the problem. Found a workaround, but it's working less and less as time goes on. Stepping back to 8.04 is indeed an option, but I thought I'd check around and use this as an opportunity to try a new distro, if I can find one that might work.

I can actually now report that Fedora 10 (the new KDE RC version) has the same problem. It could very well be a KDE 4 problem (since 8.04 used KDE 3), though I think some users on the ubuntu forums report the same problem.

Not going to lie - I just bought a new laptop, and I'm not sure if I'm going to dual-boot or use Linux at all. It's been years since I just used Windows, but I have to say the thought of NOT having to find workarounds, drivers, and configuration scripts sounds pretty good to me right now.

(Okay, I'm sure I'll cave after about two weeks, but you get my point. :D )
TimmyMac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:20 am

TimmyMac, have you tried openSUSE, Mandriva, or Debian yet? I have gotten those distros to load on just about anything. If the Ubuntu-based and Fedora-based distros are not working to your needs, I would shop around. There is plenty from which to choose. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TimmyMac on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm

OpenSUSE was also on my list, because I read that they do KDE better than anyone. What can I say? I just like that K desktop environment.

Then again, the honeymoon with Vista should be over right about the time *buntu 9.04 drops, so maybe I'll come back to the fold soon.
TimmyMac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby piratesmack on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm

TimmyMac wrote:It could very well be a KDE 4 problem (since 8.04 used KDE 3)

Oh I didn't realize you were using Kubuntu.
Yeah, it could be a KDE4 problem.

One thing you can try if you haven't already is disabling desktop effects.
Just go to "System Settings > Desktop" and uncheck "Enable desktop effects"

Linux Mint 6 uses Gnome (Well at least the main edition does) so it might work.
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions