I used 8.04, and it was fine. Upgraded (not at all the right word for it) to 8.10, and got the problem. Found a workaround, but it's working less and less as time goes on. Stepping back to 8.04 is indeed an option, but I thought I'd check around and use this as an opportunity to try a new distro, if I can find one that might work.
I can actually now report that Fedora 10 (the new KDE RC version) has the same problem. It could very well be a KDE 4 problem (since 8.04 used KDE 3), though I think some users on the ubuntu forums report the same problem.
Not going to lie - I just bought a new laptop, and I'm not sure if I'm going to dual-boot or use Linux at all. It's been years since I just used Windows, but I have to say the thought of NOT having to find workarounds, drivers, and configuration scripts sounds pretty good to me right now.
(Okay, I'm sure I'll cave after about two weeks, but you get my point.