Linux Mint Gnome+KDE+XFCE+Fluxbox Combo

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint Gnome+KDE+XFCE+Fluxbox Combo

Postby apv507 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 pm

Linux Mint is wonderful, I switched to linux about 6 months ago and have tried many gnome distros and a few of kde's and xfce's and one fluxbox. I'm wondering if there is a way to install all 4 of these into one super linux mint and then just pick my session every time. Will this effect speed at all or program load time? I considered installing all 4 versions, seeing what packages are installed and then install one version and use synaptic to get the other packages, but that would involved downloading 3000+ packages individually, minus dependancies. Maybe Im just too indecisive but I like each version for something different.
apv507
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint Gnome+KDE+XFCE+Fluxbox Combo

Postby Husse on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:45 am

You could install several DEs but you would not get the full flavour of the Mint edition
We are making meta packages and if you use these you come closer but not all the way
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions