(Mainly Solved) Custom Menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

(Mainly Solved) Custom Menu

Postby fwc on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 am

Hello,
I am running Felicia and I would like to create a custom menu. I have a task bar on the top of my screen where I would like to put the menu which has the bookmarks and recently opened files in it. If you right click and "add to panel.." there is a list of items and one is Menu Bar which lists "places" but it also lists applications and system menu. Thanks very much and I hope it is easy to extract and manipulate menu info.
Last edited by fwc on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Custom Menu

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 am

Places is what you need I think. Install it then right click, select properties tick 'bookmarks' and 'recent douments' and untick the rest. Is that what you want?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby fwc on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Yes, that would be good but where do you install it from? Package manager?
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby garda on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 am

The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby fwc on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 am

garda wrote:The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.

Yes, but I don't want all the menus provided
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby viking777 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:50 am

fwc wrote:
garda wrote:The applet you are talking about should have already been installed by default and is called 'Menu Bar'.

The confusion may be due to the fact that I use Xfce. On that the places plugin is shown automatically when you right click the panel bar and select Add new item, it doesn't have to be dwonloaded from anywhere, it is already there you just have to add it (if it isn't on your panel by default). You can then, to a certain extent anyway, configure what appears in Places simply by adding or removing ticks in its properties panel - you can choose between 4 items, 2 of which are what you want. Maybe it is different in Gnome.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby fwc on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 pm

viking777 wrote:
fwc wrote:

The confusion may be due to the fact that I use Xfce. On that the places plugin is shown automatically when you right click the panel bar and select Add new item, it doesn't have to be dwonloaded from anywhere, it is already there you just have to add it (if it isn't on your panel by default). You can then, to a certain extent anyway, configure what appears in Places simply by adding or removing ticks in its properties panel - you can choose between 4 items, 2 of which are what you want. Maybe it is different in Gnome.

Yes it is, you don't get to choose which items appear from the "Places" menu. But actually I don't want the applications and system menus to appear at all which is also unavailable via the properties menu.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby garda on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 am

First, I would like to apologize for giving you pointless answer above. I should have read your original post more carefully. From what I understand, however, you cannot hide the 'Applications' and 'System' menu from Gnome's Menu Bar applet without having to play with the source code and recompile Gnome. So there is practically nothing you can do about it.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby fwc on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:20 am

Thank you. That was the conclusion I was coming to myself, but I think I found a suitable substitute.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby garda on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:27 am

but I think I found a suitable substitute

Do you mind telling us what that substitute is? I am curious.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby fwc on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 am

sure, if you open the package manager and go to the "GNOME desktop environment (universe)" and type in menu the first option should be a download called GNOME start menu applet. This provides similar options but is much smaller on the task bar. Hope this helps.
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions