Microphone

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Microphone

Postby lycanthis on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 pm

My headphones work, I managed to make my webcam work (well, sorta) but no matter how much I fiddle with the sound settings in the control center I can't make the microphone to work. So every time I want to use Skype I have to switch to Windows :|

The Pulse Audio device chooser doesn't seem to help either -- the pulse audio volume meter doesn't react at all, no matter how hard I shout in the mic.

So what now?
lycanthis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Microphone

Postby Kaye on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Have you tried changing the recording node in the Skype sound options?
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lycanthis on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:55 pm

I managed to make a call to echo123 by choosing HDA VIA VT82xx (hw:VT82,0) setting in Options -- Sound Devices -- Sound In. Also I chose the option HDA VIA TV82xx VT1708 Analog (OSS) in gnome-sound-properties. This gives me a sound input that is decent at best.

In order to hear anything in my headphones I chose pulse in Skype's Options -- Sound Devices -- Sound In. The result is less than satisfying, meaning the sound actually comes in pulses (no pun intended), and I cannot hear stuff clearly the way I do on Windows -- to my great dismay, I hate the fact that I still need it on my box :(

The funny thing is, my headphones act like that only in calls, I can listen to music without a problem on them, even though I have the same thing selected in for Sound Playback under the Music and Movies and Audio Conferencing section under gnome-sound-properties :?
lycanthis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Configuring Skype was a bit different for me considering I'm using OSS rather than ALSA.. I never liked Pulse and it never worked for me so I haven't even bothered with it. I didn't have to change my output mode, only my input, but like I said it's probably fairly different for OSS and ALSA.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JotaEfe on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey people,

I'm a real newbie in Linux and am experiencing the same problem - my sound output (from speakers) is working fine, I can hear that echo call and something, but my microphone doesn't work at all. I tried all that stuff of choosing each available option and it ended up the same. Also got into gnome-sound and tried hard without luck. What exactly ALSA and OSS are supposed to mean?

I understand that PulseAudio is an applet and it should integrate properly with Skype, but it's not working. Maybe it's just configuration, but I couldn't fix it yet. So If you guys could help me in this stuff I'll apreciate it.

Thanks a lot, JF
JotaEfe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JotaEfe on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 am

Folks,

Can anyone help me, please? I am still out of solutions here.

TIA, JF
JotaEfe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bendera13 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello Guys! I do have same problem: microphone is not working rest of Skype is find! I do have dual boot: Windows and Linux and I do keep Windows only for Skype and ZoIPer (VoIP - SIP program) - it is two programs I can not get to work in Linux Mint. So I have to switch to Windows. Any ideas how to fix Skype's microphone problem? Is any good VoIP-SIP programs in Linux that I can try to replace ZoIPer? Thanks
bendera13
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions