Video Problems with Mint Felicia on Dell Inspiron 4000

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Video Problems with Mint Felicia on Dell Inspiron 4000

Postby Vermanium on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:12 am

Hi
I am an extremely excited and inspired newbie trying Linux mint so that one day i could say "Windows what?"

But right now, i have an issue here while i am trying to install Mint onto my old Dell Inspiron 4000 that has an ATI Rage 128 M3 graphics card.

The install has gone through trouble free, but the LCD screen display is broken up into bars. About three vertical bars that seem to repeat the display as if the screen is broken. The display worked fine yesterday when XP was still installed and also when Mint starts to boot. The resolution is 800X600 and the only other option i get in display preferences is 640X480, which is not good enough.

I would really like to use Mint on this laptop, mostly for only banking purposes. But i am a newbie and have no idea where the problem could be and how to solve it.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance.

VERM.
Vermanium
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Video Problems with Mint Felicia on Dell Inspiron 4000

Postby garda on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:46 am

Try to switch between display modes by presing CTRL+ALT+(numpad 'plus' or 'minus' key) until you get the right mode.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Vermanium on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks for your responce garda.
But the laptop doesn't have a numpad.
I tried with the keys on the top, but it didn't work. Is there anyother advice so that this'll work?
Vermanium
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 am

Can you post here the content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Last time I ever used a computer with an ATi graphics was 1998. So I am not exactly sure what to do right now.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Vermanium on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm

This instructions brings out a message saying permission is denied. I then tried typing gksudo gedit/etc/X!!/xorg.conf and after entering the password, i get nothing.

I am not so sure if i should be installing linux in such an old computer, specially when i am such a newbie.

Thanks a ton for your help anyway, garda. Really appreciate your effort.
Vermanium
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions