Mint 6 Main on Laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 6 Main on Laptop

Post by mickel »

I'm using Mint 6 Gnome on one partition and KDE 5 on the other, no other partitions. My wife has a Toshiba M35X -S114 laptop that is running Windows Xp with 1.3 g Celeron with 1536 ram. I wanted to use the laptop on a trip and just wanted to run the Mint off the CD. I had never tried it before so I put the Felicia cd in , did a restart and it re-loaded Windows ? I then tries a Parted Magic 3.7 just to see and it wouldn't load it either. I was under the impression that a Linux distro could be run just off the live cd so that it was transportable from one machine to another , am I mistaken ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rlindsey0

Re: Mint 6 Main on Laptop

Post by rlindsey0 »

You've probably thought of this, so forgive me if I'm belaboring the obvious. It may be a matter of how you have your boot order set. If you don't have it set so that the BIOS looks at your CD/DVD drive first, it will look at the HDD first and boot from that; it won't have any reason even to try to boot from the CD. The fact that you had this problem with two CDs suggests that this might be the case.

If this is the case, you can do one of two things. You can go into BIOS setup and change your boot order. If you don't want to futz around with that, you can simply force your computer to show you the boot menu by hitting the appropriate key as soon as it begins to start up. They keys are different with different computers and BIOSes. For example, on my laptop, if I hit Esc at power-up, it takes me to the boot menu, but on my other comps, the keys I have to use to do this are F8 and F12. If you have your manual, it might tell you which one to use. If not, look at the screen closely at power-up and see if you see a message telling you which key to hit for the boot menu. Often they'll mention two keys, one to take you to Setup (which you don't need unless you want to change the boot order permanently) and another to take you to the boot menu. If you don't want to make a permanent change, choose the latter.

Anyway, once you get to the boot menu, you'll see a list of available devices to boot from. Move down until the CD/DVD drive is highlighted, then press Enter. If your Linux disks are good, the CD boot process will start.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but HTH anyway.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 6 Main on Laptop

Post by mickel »

No , I didn't know but I will give it a try. Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”