Firewire Webcam versus USB Webcam

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Firewire Webcam versus USB Webcam

Postby GoodFoodHunting on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 am

What's better? Firewire or USB?

What are the pitfalls of going to a firewire webcam and how do I make that work?

Is it easier to stay with a USB webcam set up? Is it more stable?

The price for USB-webcams are quite well known but what is a good price for a Firewire-webcam?

When I was snooping around for Linux compatible webcams I stumbled upon a couple of threads who suggested that I buy an iSight or some other firewire camera. They cost a bit more, but firewire video is basically driverless, so it's pretty much guaranteed to work (at least that was prevailing sentiment from those folks).

Examples:

Unibrain Fire-i Webcam

Pyro 1394 WebCam

iBot Standard

iSight

This is definitely a question I don't mind asking before I make any kind of major purchase. So to all those who answer, thank you ahead of time. :mrgreen:
GoodFoodHunting
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firewire Webcam versus USB Webcam

Postby GoodFoodHunting on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Just giving the post a bump so as to see if I can milk some advice before a possible purchase. :?:
GoodFoodHunting
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firewire Webcam versus USB Webcam

Postby GoodFoodHunting on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:44 am

Just out of curiosity... are firewire webcams really better than USB webcams in Linux? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get something that is headache and hassle free (relatively speaking...) so are firewire webcams compatible with Linux Mint 6?
GoodFoodHunting
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions