Please Help Me Correct Dumb Rookie Mistake

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Please Help Me Correct Dumb Rookie Mistake

Postby wbee on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 am

Hello,

In the hardware section,there is a sticky post about how to get Linux Mint to use a pci (or pci express) TV tuner.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing,I suppose,because I tried following the directions there,using the supplied keyboard shortcuts,without having learned Emacs first.

I ended up with a "fatal" circumstance. When I rebooted,the reboot stopped to do a "routine" scan of my files before asking for my name and password.

What I had destroyed was "saa7134" which is the pci card's chipset,though it still works on Windows XP.

When I checked the list,the data were gone. So here is my question:

Can I repair the damage I did with:

update-modules (enter)

and then

modprobe saa7134 (enter)

-------------------

Thank you.
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please Help Me Correct Dumb Rookie Mistake

Postby kansasnoob on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:30 pm

My best guess is things got "hosed" in xorg.

So, if you can still boot Mint and go to terminal then run this command:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

If you're not able to still boot the Mint Desktop and access Terminal then upon restart (sounds like a dual boot so you always see the grub menu) select "Recovery Mode", and when that's done running you'll be presented with a few options. Choose the one that says something like, "X-fix .... try to fix X-server".
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Please Help Me Correct Dumb Rookie Mistake

Postby wbee on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 pm

kansasnoob,

Thank you for the response. I had no problem booting,but I ran the code you suggested anyway. The next time I rebooted,it ran everything in order and it seems fine.

But the file I "fatal" ed is still gone.

So I'll keep trying.

---------------

Thanks again.
wbee
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions