felicia - no option to format as ntfs from installer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

felicia - no option to format as ntfs from installer

Postby lfnfan on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 am

Hi

I just installed Felicia last night onto a clean hdd. I wanted to set up a couple of ntfs data partitions, but the partitioning tool in the live install cd did not present ntfs as an option (i thought it would be an option because the user manual has a screenshot of an ntfs partition at this stage in proceedings). FAT16 and FAT32 were there as options, but i'd rather not.

I think i have the most up to date version of the iso, but am i missing something else?

If the format as ntfs option is not available in the installer, perhaps I just create the directory struture first using gparted live, then install felicia to the pre-partitioned disk?

Thanks for any input
lfnfan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: felicia - no option to format as ntfs from installer

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 am

Why don't you use partition editor in the mintMenu under Administration during use of the LiveCD.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby lfnfan on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 am

that would be more convenient than starting up gparted - i will give it a go. nice one.

is it expected that the partition manager which appears as part of the install process doesn't offer the option to format as ntfs?

thanks
lfnfan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 am

Seeing how one doesn't nstall Linux to NTFS partitions, I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't an option.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby lfnfan on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 am

I see what you mean.

Thanks for the help!
lfnfan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions