CompizConfig Settings Manager and unusable screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

CompizConfig Settings Manager and unusable screen

Postby samia on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi all:

Last night I was playing around in CompizConfig Settings Manager with some of the 3D effects, even though my little netbook can only handle so much. I clicked something (probably Bicubic Filter), and my screen went black with some green outlines were window bars are supposed to be. I went to restart and my screen is still unusable. I can't see the menu or anything on it, but if I could just uncheck that stupid box, I think I'd be good. Now I'm getting errors about the greeter (I'm assuming login screen) not being able to start up. I could re-install Mint, but would rather make an attempt to salvage some of my data first. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Samia
samia
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: CompizConfig Settings Manager and unusable screen

Postby Ripose on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:04 am

Are you still seeing the GRUB boot menu?

If so, select "Start in Safe Mode" (failsafe)
On the FailSafe menu select "Try to fix X-server"
When the menu returns select "Resume Normal Boot"

You should be able to see everything now to change those Compiz settings.
Ripose
Level 1
Level 1

Re: CompizConfig Settings Manager and unusable screen

Postby samia on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 pm

THANK YOU JESUS

I was beginning to think there was no solution for this. Your suggestion worked like a charm. I really appreciate it!
samia
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions